Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Coils EA-82T

If you are looking for power from a coil, it will be kinda hard to find. MSD coils are very good, but you will definitely need to invest in the MSD control module(6A If my memory serves me correct; if not correct me if I'm wrong). Or you might also try switching it up and get your hands on a Jacob's Performance Ignition setup instead. Everyone that I have talked to that runs a Jacob's ignition never has an unkind word about it. Feedback is always positive. Perhaps this will give you the power gain you are looking for.

If you are looking for power from a coil, maybe I can interest you in a carb that burns water. :brow:

No coil will give you any more power than a properly functioning stock system. Any power "increase" will come from lessening of misfiring; basically you should be looking for the most reliable ignition setup. Based on what I have read on this board, not that many people have had coil failures from their 20 yr-old coils but lots complaining about their less-than-year-old aftermarkets failing. Hmmmmm...

Fancy ignition systems, when not properly designed or setup, can make your car run rougher, produce less power, and use more fuel. If properly designed, they can reduce misfire and, possibly, reduce detonation.

anyone figure out the price discrepancy originally posted? and what exactly is Subaru Auto Parts price? is that an online retailer?

agreed. after all the searching through old threads trying to decide what to do with my 220,000 mile original coil i still haven't bought an aftermarket one yet. not really much good from what i can see getting an aftermarket substitute. i'd guess any tiny performance gain that *might* be noticeable is from getting the 100,000+ mile unit out of there and probably would have been the same increase as replacing with a new stock unit. i'll get a new stock unit.

If you are looking for power from a coil, maybe I can interest you in a carb that burns water. :brow:

No coil will give you any more power than a properly functioning stock system. Any power "increase" will come from lessening of misfiring; basically you should be looking for the most reliable ignition setup. Based on what I have read on this board, not that many people have had coil failures from their 20 yr-old coils but lots complaining about their less-than-year-old aftermarkets failing. Hmmmmm...

Fancy ignition systems, when not properly designed or setup, can make your car run rougher, produce less power, and use more fuel. If properly designed, they can reduce misfire and, possibly, reduce detonation.

So, you are going to tell me that race cars and offroad vehicles should run stock coils and they will gain the most power? Come off it. If that is the case and you have tricked yourself into believing that, then I guess that there is a good probability that you will try to sell me a carb that burns water or maybe even some snake oil. Well, maybe I can interest you in a konuter valve or two, some muffler bearings, or maybe even some ceramic coated roller bearing piston rings. You are right, however, about aftermarket ignitions lessening misfire problems and such. That is what a stronger spark is all about. And on a turbocharged engine it is a must. The more air and fuel that you add, the more chances that the pressurized air and fuel mixture will overwhelm the spark in the cylinder from a "stock" coil, and basically extinguishing the spark. Thus, the reason a stronger spark is needed. Some companies have even prided themsleves on making strong multiple spark events in the cylinders. And with years upon years of research and dyno proven results under their belts, there is no way you can't tell me that they are ALL wrong. It just doesn't work that way.

Passenger car vehicals are a compromise in performance, driveabilty and emissions. Specific parts for specifc uses or duties can vastly improve perfomance. There is really no such thing as too hot an ignition coil, but some times they are over kill for a stock engine. A new OE coil can do wonders when compared to the 10 year olf or older coil in the car. A mildly hotter coil may improve performance, but there is a chain of events there, dont forget the wires and plugs. you get a hotter coil, upgrade all the parts attached to it if at all possible (Blue streak cap rotor is prbbly the highest upgrade for a factory dist you can get).

Seriously hot coils come into play when you start raising compression and changing cam timing. Coils for the last 20 years have been vastly improved over what they were, they needed to be with faster revs, and stricter emissions. Also electronic ignition allows for faster response times.

It really does depend upon your driving needs. For me if i was doing serious off raoding, i would go with as hot a spark as i could, for over the road, i would go factory.

nipper

Nipper, I agree with what you are saying. Alot does depend on your driving needs. If the car is to remain stock, then a new OEM coil would do the trick. If you are modding the engine and increasing boost pressure(which comes with more fueling needs), you can't skimp on the ignition.