Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbaru-XT strut conversion Q's

Hello everyone. I have been looking for info on the air-to-standard strut conversion for my brothers 86 XT GL-10 turbo. I've searched all over, and can't seem to find a concise "this will fit" list of bolt on swap info. We're trying to go from air ride to standard w/ junkyard stuff. No XT's at local junkyards, but Legacys etc. are available. Also, since we're doing this, is it reasonable to just do the five lug conversion? Does that give bigger brakes? I don't want to ask for too much, but a comprehensive list would be great. I am under the impression that any ea82 chassis can donate, true? What about later models w/ej22?

By the way, I drive an '04 STi. My bro gets the intercooler when we get around to the ej22T swap...after my frontmount, of course!

Thanks!

You can pull the equivalent parts from a junkyard. I have '01 Impreza 2.5RS struts and springs on the front of mine, and I had 4WD wagon rear struts & springs on it until I went to Huck's Ultra-Secret suspension back there. The Impreza units are NOT simply bolt-on. The ONLY thing that is purely, 100% bolt-on is a full set of struts and springs from an XT. The Impreza units are not too hard to make work, though. Come to think of it, 4WD wagon rears will actually bolt right in, they just don't ride at quite the right height. I cut a coil off my springs and they were just about right. Now, if you're going to use standard XT fronts, then you wouldn't want to cut anything from the back, because XT struts will lift the car a little (sometimes a lot). HTH

Dont regular EA82 front and rear struts work on a XT? I thought they did :confused: Theres 2 types, adjustable and non. Non adjustable would make it lower, of course.

The XT6 needs to have the Legacy or better struts for the front, but can use EA82 for the rear.

Come to think of it, 4WD wagon rears will actually bolt right in, they just don't ride at quite the right height.

bulwnkl is correct. Rear are alot easy to come by.

For the fronts you need them from an XT (not XT6 or any other subaru, unless of course you want to modify things)

I happen to have a set of fronts from an XT that I will sell cheap. Its all there:mounts, springs and inner struts. They are a little rusty and I don't guaretee the inner strut parts because they have been stored a while. The mounts and spring are fine. $25 ea plus shipping Send me a PM if interested.

BTW, getting rid of the air suspension is a good move. It is so problematic.

I found a 92 Legacy wgn at the local JY. Think it'll work? I don't mind doing some mods to make things fit. I have a racecar fab shop, and been building cars for years. No big deal, really. We dragged this car out of the woods, but it runs and drives for $350. But man, driving this thing to the shop was like riding a skateboard! It looks cool sitting all the way down, though.

Tappermanor, I'll run it by my brother tonight. Thanks!

Well, less than $20 in brass we got air into the struts. Deleted the compressor and air tank. 14lbs off the front of the car. It needs limiting cables, though. The front has positive camber as it is. We also built an 2.5" exhaust from pcs bought at Autozone. The car is much faster now. Next we're building a header and uppipe. The old stock exhaust without the muffler 37lbs. New exhaust is maybe 15.