Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front diff locked open rear

Scott in Bellingham

I just thought that I would add that...Porsche uses this on its Cayenne. It uses the abs unit to lock and unlock individual wheels to transfer the power through each diff to the wheel on the ground. It works really well and would be cool to use turning brake controls to make your own version. A welded rear diff and turning brake controls for the front in theory would be a fun experiment.

They also have a "extreme off road package" that has hydraulic decoupling sway bars to help articulation.

I wondered about that ABS unit if there was a way to use it backwards sortof

I wondered about that ABS unit if there was a way to use it backwards sortof

I probally have a Porsche intro book on the system...Ill see if I can dig up anything. Its pretty cool to see it work, when one wheel goes into the air it just kinda twitches as the brake for that wheel cycles on and off.

Probally would be a royal pain to try and make this kinda system yourself.

Its too bad that turning brake idea didnt work for you. Koodos to you for giving it a shot.

Heres a bad idea.

What if you installed a electric/hydraulic brake booster pump from a car that doesnt have a vacuum booster for brakes(ie 964 carrera 4) a accumulator and then run two brake lines, one for each side of the axle, "t" into the factory brake line . Then you install some kind of check valve on the inboard portion of the factory brake line and a type of electronic gate valve to control pressure to each side of the axle.

I dont know if this makes any sense or sounds like garbage. But I do know that these type of brake pumps make ALOT of pressure and would have no problem locking the wheel.

Which sooby are we concerned with? Does it have rear parking brakes? You can use those cables for the same things like VW's used to do.

Well, I'm thinking of using the Hill holders to hydraulically lock the rear of my 89 GL (EA82T)

I already am using the stock front E-brakes with dual sticks.

Just weld the diff on the rear.

You already have the brakes set up in front.

With a welded diff your guranteed at least 3 wheel drive.

Apply brake pressure to the wheel in the air and your have

more traction than the Subie can handle.

With a welded diff your problem will be your high gear ratio

because the traction will be there.

Just weld the diff on the rear.

You already have the brakes set up in front.

With a welded diff your guranteed at least 3 wheel drive.

Apply brake pressure to the wheel in the air and your have

more traction than the Subie can handle.

With a welded diff your problem will be your high gear ratio

because the traction will be there.

Unless I want to run my 4EAT in FWD mode whenever on road, I can't weld it. Fulltime 4wd and whatnot.

I already have the FWD fuse wired to a switch on the dash for instant FWD. Handy for whipping a reverse 180 on narrow trails, but I do really like my AWD on wet roads.

Plus, If this idea works well, I may adapt it for all 4 wheels on a Legacy, or other AWD manual trans.

So for now, no Welded diff.

in a subaru, i'd say it's not worth running an open in the rear. a toyota is a completely different ball game. a toyota has suspension flex and solid axles, which helps keep the tires stay on the ground. there's less of a need to have a locked differential. As for leaving the rear open,... a lot of buggies do run air or electric lockers in the rear so they can do front diggs for turning. basically lock the rear ebrake, disconnect the rear driveline (usually with a quick release lever in the cab or the dana 300 can be modded to disengage the rear shaft inside the tcase)) burn out with the front tires and turn left and right to get the front to slide over. other than that, i wouldn't want the rear to be unlocked. usually it's better to have the rear locked and the frontend unlocked for turning issues. but no one makes a driveline disconnect and there isn't an option in tcase of a subaru.

best examples i could find

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SLLhLAIzODg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8f2xLnJzg