Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thoughts and experirnces with Impreza Outback Sport

I'm looking at buying a Subie and am discouraged by the mileage and head gasket issues with the legacy and outbacks with the 2.5. I like the Impreza Outback Sport though, and it seems the 2.2 is a pretty bulletproof mill, what are your experiences? MPG? Reliability? Driveability? Manual or Auto? Why? Drawbacks overall? Any help would be great.

You buy a used car headgaskets will blow with age. It is really discouraging when its under 100K thats it does it, but most aluminum 4 cylinders will do it. I can point out some 1.8L on the older boards that do it too, its an age thing once you get past 100K on the car. The original head gasket was a design flaw in the gasket itself, not the engine. Personally I looked for a sooby with no head gasket issues, or one that had it fixed when i got my 2.5L OBW. I wanted more power of the 2.5l as opposed to the 2.2. If the headgasket was to blow tomorrow, I would just replace it as the car has 180K on the clock, and nothing lasts forever without a major part going poof. Subarus do come damn close.

Mileage, well thats all in how your right foot is connected in to your brain. In my legacy I ranged from 19-38 depending upon how i drove it. In my OBW I seem to be getting 23, and for an awd station wagon full loaded that is bullit proof, ill take that.

Look at gas milage this way, would you rather suffer at the pump a little bit (the differnce between 23 mpg and 28 mpg is 300.00 per year at 12k a year and 3.00 per gallon) or have a lesser car for what is not that big an amount of money.

I like the bigger feeling of the OBW and legacy, without feeling like im in a boat.

Just thought I would pass it on...

Just an opinion.

nipper

On the manual/auto issue, have you driven both? I guess the older subies really sucked with automatic transmissions, but the new ones (90's and later) are almost as zippy with the auto as with the 5 speed. The clutches in the manuals (at least the '96) aren't quite as strong as they should be and you can make them slip when trying to plow through deep snow or off roading. The automatics are supposed to be more durable. But replacing the clutch isn't that bad really. I personally can't stand driving an automatic in the mountains, so that settles it for me.

hello,

i'm new, so i'm just jumping in in the hopes of finding some help.

my 95 L 2.2 a/t went after i blew a rear seal, and the idiot mechanic who replaced it didn't add any fluid to the transmission. after reverse failed i went and bought 5 qts. of fluid and added 4 of them. now i need a transmisson. while looking for a decent one, i came across a 95 gt 2.5 with an "over heating engine", dirt cheap.

question: can i take the 2.5 gt trans and put in the 2.2 car? or vice versa, can i put my 2.2 engine in the 2.5 car? both cars are a little rough, but i was hoping i could take 2 and make one good.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

john

Hi everyone, this is my first post. About a month ago I Bought an OBS. It’s a 97 118,000 miles EJ22, with a 4speed automatic transmission. When I first got it I was getting about 25 mpg. Since I’ve had it I installed a front half shaft, timing belt, steering boot, platinum plugs and transmission filter. The last mileages check I was getting 27mpg. This is a mix of highway and back roads. Average speed on highway 65 back roads 45. This is a fun car to drive. Can’t comment on reliability. I’m hoping someone else will.Hope this help Gearhead.

Jack

johnceggleston : start a new topic/thread or do a search. the questions you asked have been answered before.

as far as the original post regarding the older models 2.2's and 2.5's, the more $ and reliability weigh on your mind, the more you should consider the 2.2. the less those factor in your decision the more you can lean towards the 2.5 if you need that larger motor. the 2.2 is a very durable motor and should offer you little trouble.

auto/manual is your choice. manuals typically have less issues in general, less moving parts and gizmo's and all. if mileage is an issue then compare the mileage between the two. i'm not familiar with mileage of the manuals trans so i can't say. my auto OBS gets like 27 on all highway miles. the XT6 auto's do not get worse mileage than the manuals so the old axiom that auto's get worse milegae is not always true...usually it is, but not always.

i'd plan on 25-27 mpg, that seems to be the average. i'm sure someone will pipe in with higher/lower but use those numbers in your decision making.