Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ru2 (My '00 Impreza 2.5 RS) Dies... Moose BROAD sided me!

Ever been hit by a moose @ 60 mph + ? @ 4:30AM!!??

I got the pleasure (not really) of doing it this morning. I was driving back from my motor route (paper route), when I came over a hill to see INSTANTLY a moose running out of the woods ( i think my exhaust scared it )..

It hit my front right headlight, my car hit the moose behind its front legs.. all moose! (yes, it hit me, it ran square into me!) and the force of the impact sent me rolling 1 1/2 times (umm, i think...)into a ditch.. dont forget the 60 mph part. I also wasnt wearing my seatbelt... If i were, I would be dead because the roof was smooshing the drivers side seat down (well, technically up since my car was upside-down) ..... I ENDED UP SITTING SHOTGUN IN MY OWN CAR WHEN THE ROLLING STOPPED! , aint that messed up!!!!

I walked away from the crash with nothing more than busted knuckles, glass shards in my head, and a rugburn on my hip.....

Ru2 ended up "tires up" ... which, in Alaska, "tires up" subaru means "dead"

Oh! before I forget, NONE OF MY AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND MY AIRBAG SYSTEM WAS OPERATING FULLY! :madder:

i dun get it :confused:

I will have pictures to post A.S.A.P. I will need to goto the wreckers in a day or two.

Ru2, you were a great car. You'll be missed.

They never found the moose, all we found was a crapload of hair and half a leg... :eek:

That moose is suffering like I am thats for sure.

BTW: my other subarus are my toys... i dont consider them "road worthy" they jus get to play.

I dunno if i wanna buy another subaru, but damn, for hitting a moose, it held up pretty damn good. It was the rolling that jacked it all up.

... I'd rather hit any other critter in north America (humans excepted, well maybe a few of THEM too) than a moose. Those damn long legs just always put that huge body mass above hood level, and wham, moose lap dance every time. We get a few moose/car tangles every year around Whitefish too, never pretty.

Glad you were OK, cars can be replaced (jobs too, hint-hint).

Originally posted by Battle_Wagon_Medic

Oh! before I forget, NONE OF MY AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND MY AIRBAG SYSTEM WAS OPERATING FULLY!

Sorry to hear of the loss, but glad you're okay. FFR, the airbags will only deploy when at least one of the sensors and the lateral G sensor hit their threshold. Rolling will not activate them, only a sudden stop from a front end collision will do it.

Originally posted by Battle_Wagon_Medic

Ever been hit by a moose @ 60 mph + ? @ 4:30AM!!??

Oh! before I forget, NONE OF MY AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND MY AIRBAG SYSTEM WAS OPERATING FULLY! :madder:

Ru2, you were a great car. You'll be missed.

First off I'm glad to hear you're OK. In sweden they have specific testing for running straight into a standing moose, but that wouldn't have helped you here.

Anyhow, I think in your situation the fact that the aig bags didn't go off is a good thing, and since the moose hit you it makes sense. First off, the air bags go off when they sense a frontal impact. This was a side impact and therefore it makes sense that they didn't go off. BUT, the fact that they didn't go off probably saved your life. Since you weren't wearing a seat belt you were thrown around the car. If you would have been thrown at the steering wheel at 60mph to be greeted by an exploding airbag it would have killed you. That is why there are warnings all over a new car about wearing a seatbelt in a car with airbags. Still glad you made it out! They always say Don't hit a Moose, you'll only make him angry! :headbang:

Keith

originally posted by: mtsmiths

Glad you were OK, cars can be replaced (jobs too, hint-hint).

yeh, I hate my job. I been working 7 days a week at 3am since april 27, 2002 ...

I think this mishap might change my life for the time being. If I do decide to get it back and part it out Ill definately be the "hook up" But... windows, doors, moonroof, wing, taillights, etc all the external stuff is destroyed.

Did you have it insured? Can you get it back after it is totaled? When my 02 Impreza was totaled due to the dealer parking my car in a flood plain after service (in front of the store)....I tried to purchase my car back but they said it had to be sold 1000 miles away....I would have loved to gotten my hands on that car for cheap.

Josh

Battle Wagon, very sorry to hear of Ru 2's untimely demise. The moose catastrophe is all too common in AK. But, it's just a matter of time if one spends enough time on the road up here. I once had a moose do a tap dance on the hood of my 78 brat in Talkeetna. Hope you find another ru to take its place. I say this as I sit down to lunch - moose stew. Also sorry you don't get to keep the moose that hit you. It would have been tasty - almost like when Stephen King bought the car that hit him and then had it crushed into a block.

Oh! before I forget, NONE OF MY AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND MY AIRBAG SYSTEM WAS OPERATING FULLY!

Maybe your car has a system where if the drivers belt is not buckled, it won't deploy the air bag? Cause if the air bag went of when u where bouncing inside the car, U would prolly not be here today, U would have a broken back or something.