Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

big problems with 2.5l '97 **need help please**

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phil514

phil514

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • montreal, canada

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:27 PM

I need to change the head gaskets (overheating-exhaust in cooling system) AND the lifters (they dont keep the oil pressure) AND the connecting rod bearings (big knocking noise). What could be the biggest problems and mistakes? Do you have any advise ? thanks

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,792 posts
  • Texas

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

I need to change the head gaskets (overheating-exhaust in cooling system) AND the lifters (they dont keep the oil pressure) AND the connecting rod bearings (big knocking noise). What could be the biggest problems and mistakes? Do you have any advise ? thanks

Have you considered a rebuilt engine from CCR?

http://www.ccrengines.com/

#3 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

2nd vote for CCR, they are the best. probably easier than a tear down, and not much more expensive.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,594 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:21 AM

3rd vote, rebuitl engine. If you have rod knock, you may have main beraings issues too, in fact i would almost bet on it.

nipper

#5 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:51 AM

If it's a bad knock, the crank may be damaged and in need of machine work, which would run big bucks. I've done a couple of rebuilds on older soob engines, and it's cheaper than buying an engine ONLY if you don't have to do any machine work or replace parts like pistons, crank, etc.

#6 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:49 AM

I also find myself in the CCR camp. there are too many problems with this engine, all stacked on top of each other. The other option is to get an engine from a junk yard, but the CCR engine would have a warranty that the JY engine would not. This makes CCR a much safer bet. . .

With the lifters not holding pressure, and the rod knock I'm betting you are not getting oil pressure, which means that you will likely find that other parts have been eaten as well.

The biggest mistake you can make here is opting to rebuild this engine instead of getting a rebuilt one from CCR or someplace similar.

#7 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:37 AM

CCR is the way to go: you might want consider the 95 2.2 from them as it's a rock solid engine from Subaru and a direct bolt in.

#8 phil514

phil514

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • montreal, canada

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

CCR is the way to go: you might want consider the 95 2.2 from them as it's a rock solid engine from Subaru and a direct bolt in.

thanks for the advice. i guess i'll consider a CCR. How much coul it be???

#9 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,734 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

I second the advise on going with a 2.2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users