Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear CV Axle Problems!!!!! Help!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TurboXT

TurboXT

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Lakewood

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:53 PM

Ok, so I swapped the transmission on my brat from a 3AT to a 4speed manual D/R......everything went ok aside from a few minor problems, but when trying to swap the rear diff. out, I ran into a brick wall when I tried to get the CV's off of the diff. I tapped the pins out, and everything...and they are on but good! I even pulled the hub out on one side in hopes of pulling the diff. with the CV's attached...but there is not enough clearance to pull the shaft out all the way.

I even used a hammer, and a bigger hammer, and a really big hammer.....but still no go.

Any ideas, or tricks?

Thanks

Rick

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:31 AM

a really long prying scredriver maybe while hammering the cv?

nipper

#3 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:40 AM

Try some PB Blaster or something like that, the splines are probably rusted on. You could also try heating the joint with a torch, but you will probably cook the axle seals in the diff and the axle boot and grease in the process...

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,502 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:49 AM

pull out the trailing arms

take the diff/axle(and trailing arm if it doens t come off the axle) assemblyout of the car and there you will have room to swing the hammer.

this assembly removed from the tube frame itself

used a 3 lb hammer and whack, rotate, whack, rotate

propane torch and pb blaster!

use anti-sieze or re-assembly

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:19 AM

+1 for torch! but be careful of the seals on the diff.

my buddy used an acetelyne torch on mine to get it off. got the cup RED hot, and it slid right off (with a big ol' leather glove of course)

#6 TurboXT

TurboXT

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Lakewood

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:20 PM

Those sound like good ideas, except for maybe the torch......I want to be able to use the one CV, but the other's boot is torn badly so maybe I can try it on the torn one. Tried the PB blaster, even soaked it overnight in the stuff, and still, no go.

The trailing arm sounds like a good plan, as I have the hub ripped apart....so I'll try that, and see what it does from there.

Thanks, and more ideas are welcome!

Rick

#7 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:13 PM

Those sound like good ideas, except for maybe the torch......I want to be able to use the one CV, but the other's boot is torn badly so maybe I can try it on the torn one. Tried the PB blaster, even soaked it overnight in the stuff, and still, no go.

The trailing arm sounds like a good plan, as I have the hub ripped apart....so I'll try that, and see what it does from there.

Thanks, and more ideas are welcome!

Rick

seriously, the torch won't destroy the CV, well, not a Mapp or propane one. just heat up the metal (the narrow part on the end, not the whole cup) a bunch, you'd be suprised how much that can help.

#8 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

Hey Turboxt I will be more than happy to help you Monday afternoon if you don't get it off of there.I guess if that doesn't work I can go to the JY and try to pull some other ones off some vehicles.Now I wish I would have grabbed the ones off the wagon we got you pedal cluster off of and you rear diff.Oh well. Just let me know. I can bring my tools if you would like.

#9 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:54 AM

Drop the diff and trailing arms. Get it all out from under and have at it. 1" chizel and 4lb hammer. Strike the bulky DOJ cups (they arnet CVs back there :) ) at an angle with the chizel in the direction you want them to slide off. Do not use a screwdriver to pry anthing as mentioned above; you will just ruin your dust guards and they will still be stuck on there. I prever the chizel becuase you arent swinging near the dust guards with a 4lb hammer; which can easily destroy them in one swing.

Good luck.... use the force !_!

#10 TurboXT

TurboXT

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Lakewood

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

Well, I got them off! Kingbobdole came by and we pretty much riped the axles apart, and the one end is still on the hub axle, and the diff still has the stubs as well. I don't know how these were on, but it would almost seem as if they were welded on! At least they are off now....but it's snowing and I won't have 4WD :( until I get new rear CV's. Still have a ton of problems to work out, but I'll post those in a new post.
Jerry, I will give you a call today.

Thanks guys!

Rick

#11 A DOG

A DOG

Subaru Ninjai for hire

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

Don't worry about snow and 4WD you still got plenty of time to 4WD rally the snow all winter. I allready got to taste the snow with the XT6. MMMMMMM tastes so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users