Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car starts, then shuts off!

I'm baffled about this one ...

Car was running great, no issues.

Did 3 things to it.

1. Changed the Oil

2. Replaced the air filter

3. Added fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas

... Now, the car will turn over and run for like 5 seconds, then the rpms dip down and it shuts off. I can keep it running, only if I start it and then immediately keep my foot on the gas petal ... keeping the rpms above 3K, but the engine doesn't sound so great when I do this.

What I've done so far which has made no impact. Changed the fuel filter, checked the oil levels, filter ... all fine, no leaks, disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, to try and reset the computer.

Any ideas???

I can only say that I was lucky enough to be the first member to post the correct answer to this question, not that I am the smartest man in the universe or the greatest diagnostician of all time...:brow:

Glad it's fixed. I can bet you were about to beat yourself up for screwing up your car during simple, routine maintenance.

Matt

• 6 years later...

Thank you,

It was cold today and im bringing to kids to school.

The car starts then cuts off, after about 10 attempts.

I bring a shop light ou,t thinking it will warn up the motor.

After setting it up, wind howling, I realize this is rediculus.

My gas was low, I call AAA they bring gas. $5

Same thing will not start. Guy says we can send I tow truck and tow it to the shop. I say not now let me check the internet. ( thinking this is a 1999 subaru with 135,000 miles, I was thinking about trying for 200,000, but maybe I should get a new car) I find this blog, check the hoses, no, but one of the clips on the air filter is the wrong way leaving a 1/2 inch gap. I fix the clip. Subaru starts right up. Back on the road.

Thank you Again, Go Subaru.