Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alternator voltage in my 92 loyale

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PennyMc

PennyMc

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Vancouver Island

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:55 PM

my voltage spikes to about 17volts at about 4000rpm and up- is this normal?

#2 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:02 PM

It shouldn't be doing that. That means the alternator is overcharging which is not a good situation. You should get it replaced or if your not sure it needs to be, have a mechanic hook up a tester to it and make sure the gauge is reading correctly.

#3 PennyMc

PennyMc

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Vancouver Island

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:04 PM

We used a mulit-meter and it is correct...the voltage goes up high when the rpm does....so it may not be as simple as a loose wire or something stupid like that?? Thank you

#4 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:05 PM

well does it run like crap when its at 17 volts? if not, I wouldnt worry about it. If everything runs fine, your gauge might be messed up. Easy way to test it is get a voltmeter and put it on the charge wire comin off the alt. single wire with the ring on it I believe. hopefully somone will jump in to confirm

If it does start dogging down u need a new voltage regulator (alternator) because they are internal regulators

#5 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

This is a common problem. The voltage regulator has died. It's internally regulated, so you need to replace the alternator. This WILL damage your electronics if you leave it alone.

#6 squatty

squatty

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

Penny - Funny you should post this! I have been watching the voltmeter on my 92 Loyale as the same thing is happening to me!

On a 500 or so mile round trip last week I noticed my voltage getting up that high also. I wasn't sure it was a new occurence but believe it used to run around 15 or so.

#7 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

Penny - Funny you should post this! I have been watching the voltmeter on my 92 Loyale as the same thing is happening to me!

On a 500 or so mile round trip last week I noticed my voltage getting up that high also. I wasn't sure it was a new occurence but believe it used to run around 15 or so.

Even 15 is high on the gauge. Mine...when it was running (currently has another crappy alternator) would be just about 12.5 volts.

#8 PennyMc

PennyMc

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Vancouver Island

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

Well I've already replaced the battery and put 2 new head lights in because of this problem....so off to the store to get a new alternator.....at the rate I'm going with repairs I'm going to have a brand new car by the end of the week...lol. as usual, thanks for all your help guys!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users