Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Hatch keeps eating inner CV boots

Hello all-

I had a CV boot go out on my hatch (1987 GL Hatch 4wd, dual range 4spd) a couple of months ago, and when I took it into my mechanic, he said that it needed a new passenger side front axle. No real surprise considering the age and mileage, so I had him go ahead and do it. He couldn't source the correct axle, (after ordering a couple of them from the junkyard) and finally ended up putting together an axle with new moving parts using partly my old axle and partly the one from the junkyard. He put on new boots at the time.

Things fit together fine, the car drove fine, and then it blew out the inner CV boot a month or so later. My mechanic replaced it under warranty, and it has now blown out a new inner CV boot a second time after another month and a half. We thought the first might just be a defective part, but when the second one went out in exactly the same way, I figured we must be doing something wrong.

He ordered 2 new axles for me last week (neither one of which has the right splines) and will keep ordering parts until he gets me what I need to get things fixed. My mechanic is completely honest and hasn't charged me anything since the first time he fixed it, and he won't charge me anything more for fixing it again either. But, I feel for the guy because he seems kinda stumped and he has now had my car up on his lift more than a couple times with the same problem. He's a Honda guy but he's the best import guy in town.

Anyone out there in TV land run into this before or have a suggestion for my mechanic?

Thanks!

- Freed

I ran into this, and unfortunitly had to junk the car :(

Firts problem I had was that the shop I was working I was using, was just getting a generic cv joints for the car, not noting the engine/tranny combo. Make sure you are getting the proper axles. I went thru 3 axles in a mmonth because of this.

A year later, my baby started doing it again. Alas it was terminal cancer and the subframe was giving out. I drove the car as a 2rwd for a while, but it wasnt safe, and it had to be retired.

nipper

Is the axle failing on the same side (i.e. passenger side)? If so, the inner boot is right under the catalytic converter and causes the rubber to deteriorate pre-maturely since it is too hot (engine running too rich? causes the cat to run hot since it needs to burn all those extra hydrocarbons). I had that problem with my old '86 GL wagon and fixed it by fabbing a heat deflector shield above the cat to scroop up some extra airflow and deflect the heat elsewhere. I didn't loose another axle until the driver's side went a year later.

i noticed with my 82 that both inner cv boots were shot when i got the car. and the same problem on a parts car we got owner had a problem with the inner cvs going bad... seems kinda odd to me. i'll keep a close watch on mine... i do need new rear tranny mounts... could that be an issue in this kinda problem.

I think Ed is on the right track. Most inner CV boots break over the axle when the catalytic convert is going bad or is aftermarket.

I had a customer running around with a ea82 axle in her 1989 Hatch. When he orders axles, make him order it for a 84 ea81 hatch and the right parts will come in.