Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!Resealed engine...zero oil pressure..FIXED!

Wondering if I might get some help here:

I replaced the clutch on my 87 GL, and decided to pull the engine and replace the seals (including oil pan, mains, oil pump). Just got it together, fired her up. After the smoke cleared (i used alot of engine cleaner, ect. in it), I took it out of the driveway, clacking got louder and louder, and then I noticed no oil pressure (sender is hooked up). I'm now parked along the side of the road. Anyone know of any typical mistakes that would cause this when resealing an engine??

THanks!

Man, i'm bummed.

Mike.

Thanks for the reply ShawnW,

I'm pretty sure the pickup tube stayed in the engine, so I didn't mess with it. Hmmmm, wonder if I should take the belts off and pull the oil pump again....damn. Do I have to drain the oil for that?

THanks for any help, folks....my wife wants that thing out of the garage.

you dont have to drain oil for that, but even if the checkball was removed, you should have oil pressure... you didnt use any silicone on the front end did you?

how long did you let her run?

lifters take a long time to pump up sometimes, but if the sender was a known good one, it would make me nervous too

Thats the hard part to judge. When I put my new oil pump in, I musta hit the sender wrong somewhere installing it because it didnt work when I started up. It was the working sender off the old oil pump. Mine clacked, got worse and then cleared up. Then I changed the sender.

Tricky to decide what to do, run it to see if the lifters pump up, or rip it back apart. You had both orings put in the right way, didnt smash them or pinch them when installing? I've had the mickey mouse seal suck in when I was tightening the bolts one time, making the pump have crappy pressure, and the lifters clacked like hell.

OK, this is reaching, but...waaaaay early on, we had one that had kinda the same problem. A "past" employee had rebuilt it without putting a new o-ring on the pickup tube (or it was mangled or damaged in some way...I forget exactly what. I've slept a lot since then.)

Mickey is also a good possibility, or if you didn't use a Subaru Genuine Mickey.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Aint got no oil in it! :banghead:

No, I made sure it has oil!

Anyone know of an easy way to check for oil pressure to crosscheck that sending unit? Yes, the engine noise is loud...it just sounds dry to me. (maybe I'm just paranoid?) I guess it could be a stripped exhaust stud, or something, thats making sound bad.

No, I made sure it has oil!

Anyone know of an easy way to check for oil pressure to crosscheck that sending unit? Yes, the engine noise is loud...it just sounds dry to me. (maybe I'm just paranoid?) I guess it could be a stripped exhaust stud, or something, thats making sound bad.

yes ground out the stud on the end of the sending unit. if the gauge max's out, its good.. I think thats how it goes.. if not someone will correct me

Napa sells manual oil pressure gauges. You may need an adapter but they should have everything you need. It's just a couple fittings that attatch where your pressure sending unit goes. It replaces the unit and has a hose that leads to a simple gauge. Its a sure fire way to know if your pump is producing any pressure.

I pulled my hair trying to figure out why and engine I put together didnt hold pressure. Came to find it was just my gauge.

-Brian

what happened so far?

Wow,

Thanks for all the replys, folks. What a great board this is.

The Sub sits in the Garage till I get back from a quick vacation with the fam. I guess I'll try to double check the sender, and rule that out of the equation.

take care,

Mike.

OK, Folks, got the main problem solved.

After pulling off the belt covers, a nut fell out (bad sign). The oil pump sprocket was hanging out by 1/2 inch, and the belt was riding on the lip (which cut a groove along the middle of the belt. Guess I forgot to torque the nut that holds the oil pump sprocket on? Or does it take a lockwasher? Anyway, i put a little blue locktite on it, reassblemed the whole thing (without the belt covers this time) and it now has oil pressure.

The problem is, it's still tapping very loudly (especially from the left side of the engine). THink I did some damage driving it that couple of minutes dry?

Anyway, thanks all for the tips.....

Now on to the tapping.

Mike.