Ultimate Subaru Message Board

knowledgeable Subaru mechanic in Jersey

Did you check the phone book for your local Subie repair shop. By the way I'm sure there is plenty of capable mechanics in NJ as it is where Subaru Headquarters is located.

Can anyone recommend a knowlegeable Subaru mechanic in New Jersey (New Brunswick area)?

Thanks,

Alex

what do you need done?

First and foremost - I need a good overall diagnostic of the condition of the car. It is a 99' Legacy wagon, 5-spd, 179K miles. What's been recently done: replaced transmission (used trans was installed) and new clutch. Also, an idling or timing sensor (the one on the upper part of the engine - visible from under the hood) was replaced. The reason for that replacement was CEL. A few weeks later CEL came back on with code P0420.

My observations:

1.Last time changed spark plugs - noticed oil in plug wells, but the tips were not fouled.

2. "Whup,whup,whup" sound especially pronounced at speed when making even the slightest right turn. heard also when going straight, but the road surface has a slight tilt to the left. - I suspect wheel bearing, because I don't hear clicking when making sharp right turn. Tried rocking the wheel vertically and horizontally while the car is on stands - no play, solid. Tried moving the front drive axle back and forth - the left (driver side) had about 4mm play, while the right one had none.

3. Electrical: right turn signal flashing rapidly, left - normally. I checked all the lights on the car - they ar fine.

Regards,

Alex

LosDios, in my previous post (the one above yours) I described what I need to fix. To recap:

1. CEL with code P0420. It list many things, bad cat converter being the most expensive, I think.

2. Possibly bad left front bearing - the sound and symptoms in previous post.

3. Electrical problem - see the previous post. Normally this type of turn signal (fast on one side and normal on the other) indicates that a light bulb is out somewhere, but I checked - all lights are working.

I've been to two independent mechanics and both did poor job and lost my trust. One installed a new clutch without resurfacing the flywheel despite of my explicitly reminding him to do that. The other just fixed what was most beneficial to him, ignoring the real problem. That's why I am asking the fellow Subarites if anyone knows a mechanic specializing in Subarus (I don't trust dealer either, most of them are just parts changers). If there is a good mechanic working for Subaru, though, I will give him a chance.

Regards,

Alex

Well from what ive seen you dont cut the flywheels on Subarus, you replace them.

I agree the next one is probably a cat issue.

Turn signals, did you look at the slow side? maybe the slow side has a light out. or the fast side actually has a bad bulb or pigtail and you dont realize it. remove and install the bulbs and see what happens.

i could recomend a few mechanics in trenton area but that wont help you.

nipper