Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

knowledgeable Subaru mechanic in Jersey

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alexk02

alexk02

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • E.Brunswick, NJ, USA

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:18 AM

Can anyone recommend a knowlegeable Subaru mechanic in New Jersey (New Brunswick area)?

Thanks,
Alex

#2 OhChit

OhChit

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Chitville NJ

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:51 PM

Did you check the phone book for your local Subie repair shop. By the way I'm sure there is plenty of capable mechanics in NJ as it is where Subaru Headquarters is located.

Can anyone recommend a knowlegeable Subaru mechanic in New Jersey (New Brunswick area)?

Thanks,
Alex

#3 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

what do you need done?

Thanks,
Alex

#4 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:29 PM

Take the short drive across lower NY to visit Moosens.

#5 alexk02

alexk02

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • E.Brunswick, NJ, USA

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:46 AM

what do you need done?

First and foremost - I need a good overall diagnostic of the condition of the car. It is a 99' Legacy wagon, 5-spd, 179K miles. What's been recently done: replaced transmission (used trans was installed) and new clutch. Also, an idling or timing sensor (the one on the upper part of the engine - visible from under the hood) was replaced. The reason for that replacement was CEL. A few weeks later CEL came back on with code P0420.

My observations:
1.Last time changed spark plugs - noticed oil in plug wells, but the tips were not fouled.
2. "Whup,whup,whup" sound especially pronounced at speed when making even the slightest right turn. heard also when going straight, but the road surface has a slight tilt to the left. - I suspect wheel bearing, because I don't hear clicking when making sharp right turn. Tried rocking the wheel vertically and horizontally while the car is on stands - no play, solid. Tried moving the front drive axle back and forth - the left (driver side) had about 4mm play, while the right one had none.
3. Electrical: right turn signal flashing rapidly, left - normally. I checked all the lights on the car - they ar fine.

Regards,
Alex

#6 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:42 PM

Thanks,
Alex

what seems to be the problem?

#7 alexk02

alexk02

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • E.Brunswick, NJ, USA

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:36 PM

LosDios, in my previous post (the one above yours) I described what I need to fix. To recap:
1. CEL with code P0420. It list many things, bad cat converter being the most expensive, I think.
2. Possibly bad left front bearing - the sound and symptoms in previous post.
3. Electrical problem - see the previous post. Normally this type of turn signal (fast on one side and normal on the other) indicates that a light bulb is out somewhere, but I checked - all lights are working.

I've been to two independent mechanics and both did poor job and lost my trust. One installed a new clutch without resurfacing the flywheel despite of my explicitly reminding him to do that. The other just fixed what was most beneficial to him, ignoring the real problem. That's why I am asking the fellow Subarites if anyone knows a mechanic specializing in Subarus (I don't trust dealer either, most of them are just parts changers). If there is a good mechanic working for Subaru, though, I will give him a chance.

Regards,
Alex

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:35 PM

Well from what ive seen you dont cut the flywheels on Subarus, you replace them.
I agree the next one is probably a cat issue.
Turn signals, did you look at the slow side? maybe the slow side has a light out. or the fast side actually has a bad bulb or pigtail and you dont realize it. remove and install the bulbs and see what happens.

i could recomend a few mechanics in trenton area but that wont help you.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users