Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I'm inheriting a '98 Impreza, and am in the process of doing some routine maintenance.

This weekend, I'm doing front brake pads/rotors, and would also like to flush the AT fluid as it smells 'off'. Car has the EJ22/4EAT and is at 75,000 miles.

No real service history, so I don't know if the 60k service was performed or not...

What is the proper type/brand of fluid to use (if there is a good OEM substitute, that is)? And how many quarts?

I understand that MY 1999 and later cars have an external filter, but this car most likely does not?

(Sorry for my ignorance...I did a search here and read the articles on End Wrench, but I'm still confused :-\ )

Thanks for any info you might be able to give me!

Jon

I would reccommend redline oil for your tranny aswell as front and rear diff. There is a discussion on the board http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4160 about gear and tranny oil. I would do all fluid changes since you don't know what is in there and for how long. Can't hurt if you want to keep it running for a long time. I think the ATF is Dexron III but not sure.

I hope this helps.

I have been using Valvoline synthetic blend Dexron. I am pretty happy with it. It's pretty cheap, I can buy six quarts for about $20, and that is about all I can get out of the 4EAT. I change it every 30k and put on a new external filter. When I change it the drained fluid shows no signs of degradation. I just can't bring myself to spend $6-$8 a quart for full synthetic, though I am a synthetic convert for sure.

I highly recommend changing the filter whether it be internal or external. A clogged filter can reduce system pressure which can cause erratic operation or premature wear.

I have become a firm believer in AT flush, costs about $100.00 around here and gets all the fluid changed including the torque converter. Fleet trannies last longer, usually beyond the lease, and is therefore less expensive. Changing tranny oil only gets about one third of the fluid so it does not really change anything. Subaru spin-on AT filter is the best idea since duct tape and I hope you have one 'cause then you could change it yourself after the flush. Be prepared for a price shock as Subaru want about $40.00 for one. It gets kinda complicated if yours has the filter in the tranny pan. Have fun!

Admittedly a flush is better. I get 6 quarts out of 9.8 out, so that is 61%. So the first change will leave 39% of the original fluid. The percentage of the original fluid will then go to 15% and 5% at the next changes. Not perfect for sure, but I have such a hard time letting people touch my cars.

99obw, you are sooo right about other hands on my car! That is why I have learned to deal with the slight clutch judder. I made the mistake of letting the dealer take care of the pulling problem on my new '03 Baja. never again unless the dealer is willing to let me interview the tech to find out if he knows what he is doing.

You were impressive on those percentages, too!