Ultimate Subaru Message Board

low idle - coughs and dies

I have had my 87 gl wagon for about a month now. Up until recently it has always idled at 1000 rpms.

2 days ago it started to idle really low and die at stop signs. If I give it a little gas then she will stay running. When I am parked I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep her running.

She will go down the road well, but just not idle. :(

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-=fred=-

I think tizzle nailed it -- I was thinking vacuum leak, too.

My cat used to have the habit of getting under the hood near the warm engine (it doesn't take much to cure 'em of that....) She somehow pulled off the vacuum line to the accumulator on the passenger-side fender. Engine idled like crap till I discovered it.

There are a half dozen vacuum hoses, check to see if they're connected and not brittle. A can of carb cleaner can help find a leak, too; spray it around the base of the carbeurator/intake while the engine's running and see if the idle changes.

Of course, it could be somethin' else, too....

-- Mark

I think tizzle nailed it -- I was thinking vacuum leak, too.

My cat used to have the habit of getting under the hood near the warm engine (it doesn't take much to cure 'em of that....) She somehow pulled off the vacuum line to the accumulator on the passenger-side fender. Engine idled like crap till I discovered it.

There are a half dozen vacuum hoses, check to see if they're connected and not brittle. A can of carb cleaner can help find a leak, too; spray it around the base of the carbeurator/intake while the engine's running and see if the idle changes.

Of course, it could be somethin' else, too....

-- Mark

I will get out my carb cleaner and check out my vacuum lines. Thanks for the fast reply.

I will also give the plug wires a good once over.

BTW I was also thinking it might be my fuel filter. I looked under the hood but could not find it. Can any one give me a heads up on where to find it?

Thanks,

-=fred=-

Guessing it's a Carb'd EA82 so the fuel filter would be near the rear passenger side tire...up and under there near all the gas tank fuel lines...

If it's FI then it's the big metal can up on the driver's side strut tower.

If you haven't changed it in awhile, then it's always worth a changing out anyways.

I had exacly the sam simptoms with my 86 GL

Turns out it was my charging system,, I had been running the off-road lights all night and the altinator could not keep up with the drain on the battery.

I know there could be many many other causes. But I would check your electrical system,, manly the charging part.

until recently my car would not idle right i had to keep my foot on the gas at stop signs and what not.....this was very tough seen as how i dont have a starter *cough* and i would have to push start it in an intersection if i did.....but i fidled with the vacuum tubes around the carburator and i guess i got the one with the leak so definately try to make sure there is no vacuum leak. Oh and if your car has no trouble making it up hills then it is not the fuel filter.