Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anybody have a pic of a 1981 360 wagon??

cole098

Like Junkie said, it was imported into the USA from 1967 to 1969, that doesn't mean that they stopped building them and selling them else where. There is a two cylinder Subaru that sells in Japan today, not sure what they call it, but it is still there. I know they sold the 2 cylinder to third world countries long after they stopped selling them in the USA. The chances of it being a USA model are ZERO.

Check out this site, http://www.xs4all.nl/~mjs/subaruk.html

Sorry, there was never a 360 wagon *officially* imported to the States. There was, however, a 360 wagon. The 360 van/cargo wagon/Sambar are all the same vehicle, a little refrigerator on wheels with four doors, the aforementioned 356cc 2 cyl 2-stroke engine, and a rear lift back. You can see pictures of those at the 360 Club site; they began production in 1963 and were imported to the States between 1968-70 (as '69 and '70 models). The 360 Custom/station wagon is a different breed entirely: It's a 360 sedan from the front to the back of the door pillar, and then it has its own uniquely styled 2-door station wagon body (think of what the offspring of a VW Fox wagon and a '53 Buick would look like). Pictures of that may be viewed here: http://subaru360.150m.com/subaru360/custom.htm (thanks to Russ Doyle for maintaining the site). As far as I know the tech specs were the same as the sedan, except the cargo capacity and (I believe) the transmission. Customs were never available in the States, and began production in 1965-67, depending on who you believe. All 360 production ended in 1970 with the introduction of the much-better R2, followed by the Rex, Vivio, and now Elten.

They still actally produce the Sambar, Subaru Sambar Jes that I'm pretty sure they are sold only in Japan. They sell them in 2wd and 4wd, auto and manual. Plus you can get dump beds, refrigerator boxes, all kindsa different models, not jes passenger vehicles. Not sure what size motor they have though, can't read too much japanese. We don't get everything here in the states, never have, prolly never will. As for the add in the paper, it "could" be correct, military personell buys cars overseas and ship em home all the time, coulda happened.

SoA celebrated their 30th in 1998 because Subaru of America was founded and started importing cars in 1968. The cars that they were importing were sold as '69 models, though, since they went on sale just before the beginning of the US makers' 1969 model year. Now they're celebrating their 35th anniversary with 2k4 models because 2004 came 35 years after the 1969 model year...confusing, no?

Hope this helps, Andrew

There's one of those little vans n a yard about a couple of miles from me. Been wanting to get a photo of it and post it, but always space the camera. Wonder what he'd let it go for. I'd be the talk of the town showing up to a soob show in a soob van. Also wonder if I could even fit in one to drive it. . .