Ultimate Subaru Message Board

top of the world trip?

i wish i could go out there one day.how far is that from you?i probly could never get enough time off to make the trip worth while.

My rough estimate from looking at my Yukon map is that it's something like 1000-1200 miles from Haines to Tuktoyuktuk. Over 100 miles is on ice roads that are only open during the winter. I really want to do this trip sometime just to be able to say that I've driven as far north as possible.

count me in! make plans for sometime next year, (when i will be a little closer than MN... ;) )

and I will see if my imp and I are up for the challenge- but Im sure I will be! (lets get the photo/video crew goin'!)

maybe SOA will help sponsor the trip for publicity on their cars? :brow:

I happen to have the connections, and I could talk to some of the SOA people next time I run into them :cool: (but that may take a while)

maybe SOA will help sponsor the trip for publicity on their cars? :brow:

Actually, Jeep did a publicity thing about 8 years ago where they sent a bunch of their new models on the exact trip I'm thinking about. I bet SOA would love it if a bunch of 10-20 year old cars showed the Jeep guys how it's done!

Snowman and Austin, i hate to burst your bubble, but i think SOA would only get excited if we made the trip in vehicles they still sell on the showroom floor.

Maybe we could get them to give us some new ones!!! :brow:

well, even better! I would love to (and i bet we all would) love to drive those up there :D

mmm... heated seats..... :slobber:

Yeah, you'd have to make sure your car is in awesome shape. Northern Canada is serious, negative 60 degree, if your rig dies so do you, carry spare everything, travel in caravans, leave your car running all the time territory. Even farther south around Tok, if you don't run synthetic gear oil, your tranny can freeze up overnight so your vehicle cannot move.

This would not be a trip for the faint of heart.

I think the longest run is around 350 miles...may be shorter or longer depending on whether the gas stations the map indicates are still in existance. Still not too bad. Most of them are short hops of 50-150 miles.

FYI: I would expect gas prices to be around $1.30 to $1.50 a liter (about 4 liters per gallon).