Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FI Conversion~ Kinda quick question

DrKrazy

I was reading through the Conversion manual and it all looks pretty good and straight forward...ran into one thing in there that has me at a slight concern.

I tried seraching but didn't really come up with anything...It states that you should get the computer from the same type transmission donor car as yours..but could be converted with a few wires if needed.

Well I'm going to use the whole system from a 2wd Automatic 88 DL on to my Carb'd 4wd 5spd 86 GL.. So any idea on what I would need to do to convert the computer or do I need to get one from a 4wd stick...??? :-\

That's kinda what I thought, just got confused reading it at 2 am I guess. After all I'm only going to be controlling the engine with it...does it really care about the transmission? Figured at most there is just a few more wires that don't get hooked up/or spliced together (Kick-Down or something).

Yeah, after looking at it closer, I don't think it's a big deal if you use a computer from an auto car. You might get a check engine light or something, but it shouldn't make much difference besides that.

Sorry, I should have spent more time researching that when I wrote the manual.:-\

It will be edited if I make another version.

No it's a great piece of work, after reading through it I was much more convinced that this is not going to be that big of a deal at all. With my complete running donor car sitting right next to it, this manual, FSM's and some careful attention should be a fairly easy thing.