Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transfer Case/Differential?

'88 Dl wagon

So I had my mechanic do the front passenger cv axle because I had no time. It definately needed to be done but now my mechanic is telling me that the clicking noise is actually the transfer case or more so the differential in the front. I have yet to check it out but I was wondering if anyone has any comments/thoughts/advice. As I said, I do not know what he is talking about yet but I want to know if it is safe to drive or if it need to be fixed what I am looking at. I know the 4wd works fine so I am not sure what the deal is. Any thoughts are greatly appriciated.

-Chris

Sure it's not just the other axle clicking now? Could be an inner DOJ clicking which is right nexto the transaxle and could be mistaken for a transaxle.

It's safe to drive. Not like it's going to blow up or anything. If the tranny goes then it goes; I'd wait till that happend before replacing it. Or I'd be VERY VERY sure it was the tranny. Wouldnt even suspect it untill both axles were eliminated as the cause.

Ok. Picked up the car and I thought he was saying a little click when turning. NOT the case. Now as soon as you put it in gear and drive it clicks like something is hitting or something. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt as, we all know that when you take something apart is when other things start happening. It just seams strange. He said there is a problem with the diferential. It drives fine but just does not sound right. It clicks like mad even driving straight and just seems like it must be something! It also is making the same sound as before when turning. I have not clue. Let me know what you think.

Oh.. yes... I can possibly give some input...

Changed a front C.V. joint out... sure enough, fresh out of the box, clunk, clunk, clunk... the new C.V. joint was bad.

I can't imagine that the transfer case all of a sudden would make that noise... could happen... but... possibly bearings were ready to go and now making noise?

or as lower post, possibly other side making noise?

My guess would be bad / new drive axel, although convincing mechanic may be a problem....

My .02 cents.

Do not let him tear into the trans. R & R the new axle. Remanned axles are subject to failure right out of the box. The reason being is the rebuilders use parts that are out of tolerance. They also do not put them back together correctly. Usually leave the retainer clip out of the DOJ.

Well I brought the car back in this morning and asked him to repack and put the old axle back in and see if this eliminates the problem. If so I will be watching the shop get smaller and smaller in my new passenger side mirror! (thanks Jeff) Anyway, I hope it is the last time I have to deal with them and I hope he did not screw anything up big time!