Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A new use for a roof rack

soobme

As some of U know, I use hood pins to hold down my hood.

Well while I was in the store today some A-hole thought it would be funny to pull them out! I did not notice......and at 50MPH the hood flew up:eek: :eek:

The hood is trashed, but thanks to the roof rack with a front mounted spair, no cracked window or dents in the roof!

yeah, i was going to suggest charging your hood pins as well. I hope that guy gets a blowout at 85mph..

what kind of store was it? any security cameras that might have seen your car while it was parked there?

and depending on your insurance coverage, you might not have to pay too much .. if it's just a hood it's probably less than your deductible though..

Damn I hates when that happens. Done it 3 times in my life. 1st was '73 Pinto, scared the on-coming traffic more than it did me. They were all hitting the ditch. Wasted the windshield, and new wiper blades. 2nd time, was in Kentucky. Ran outta go juice on the hiway. Walked down to the next exit got a can of gas and walked back. Didn't notice that someone had tried to open the hood of my Ford truck. Those things had a trick to open them. Anyways, get truck going, and bam, hood flies up. Didn't hurt windshield, but mangled hood and hinges. Get home, pull hood striaghten it out, replaced hinges. Head for work next day, Bam, hood flies up again. Didn't break the windshield, but it left a paint streak up the middle of it. Tied the hood down and went to work. Next day got to looking things over. Who ever tried to open the hood, had used a prybar on the latch, and bent it. Said the "H' with it. Removed damaged higes, and latch. Got some heavy duty door type hinges and a lock hasp. Put the hinges on the passenger side of hood and fender, hasp on driver side. Clamshell hood! Redneck as all get out, but I didn't care.........

I know that like at Shucks and AutoZone, they have a kit where instead of hood pins, they're locks so you need a key to open it up. :headbang: But I stil like the idea of charging the hood pins:brow: I was gonna do it to the manual locking hubs on my 76 Ford cause someone decided that it would be fun to lock my hubs in while I was at the store. Luckily I realized they were locked before something bad happened:madder: