Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap a v-6 into a forester?

ironboy789

its possible, but you better plan on doing ALOT of work.engine, tranny, ecu, wiring, rear diff, cutting, and welding. a manual tranny would be alot better for towing.you really could put anything you want in there, it depends on how much work you want to do.....

Jon

I would personally recommend doing a few mods to your engine and running that rather than going to the trouble of putting in a different engine. Your stock engine is rated at like 160 hp...plenty for towing anything that your suspension can handle. I've used my 87 hp subaru to tow boats, snowmachines, and other junk.

If you want to drop in a bigger engine, that's cool. I just don't know if it would really be worth all the work and expense.

anything is possible, but it will handle like a dog.

nipper

No it wont. The weight difference between an EZ30 motor and an N/A EJ motor is roughly the same as a turbo EJ motor compaired to an N/A EJ motor.

For the swap, it would be like a WRX swap as well, you need the ECU, wiring harness, etc. and also there is a little bit of extra work to be done for fitting the motor. Theres a thread on NASIOC about it by anders8

No it wont. The weight difference between an EZ30 motor and an N/A EJ motor is roughly the same as a turbo EJ motor compaired to an N/A EJ motor.

For the swap, it would be like a WRX swap as well, you need the ECU, wiring harness, etc. and also there is a little bit of extra work to be done for fitting the motor. Theres a thread on NASIOC about it by anders8

its more then weight, its a higher center of gravity.

nipper

nipper

?

Given that the height from oil pan to the top of the manifold is about the same between the EZ30 and the EJ25, I would be curious to see ho wthe center of gravity would be raised.

I could see how it could possibly be moved forward. But hardly enough to effect handling in day to day driving.

That said, I still think it isn't worth it

nipper

It doesnt sit any higher... Theres a little more weight forward as calebz said, but no the engine doesnt fit differently or cause undue weight distribution issues.

Here are the two swaps that I know of:

Anders8 using a first gen EZ30 (the SOHC with 210hp)

http://linaracing.com/pics/eventdetail.cfm?year=2003&event=H6%20Conversion

And Slack who is using an EZ30-R (DOHC, AVCS, 250hp) and should be running in a couple weeks...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748385&highlight=ez30

Thanks for all of the replies, I am going to check out some mods to the current engine. But, I will still dream of one day, shoe-horning a v-6 into that go-cart-of-a-car. The center of gravity issue could be solved in the suspension(?) and the length of the new engine could force the firewall back a few inches. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM............................... dan, out.