Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

auto tranny reverse problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dc_johnny

dc_johnny

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • south new zealand

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:07 AM

Hi Folks,

Need help, on a round the world trip, so bought a 92 legacy 1.8 auto to get around new zealand, everything was grand, but now reverse is not working, if you rev engine hard it will move slowly, or if your reversing downhill its ok, All forward gears are perfect. What is the problem? Is it handy fix, as you can imagine cash is tight so cheap quick fix would be excellant. ive checked the oil and its normal red colour, correct level, maybe a small bit high, but no signs of clutch burnout.
cheers john (ireland)

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,633 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

This is not a good thing. Best thing to do is avoid parking anywhere you need to back out. The high reving is sliiping and doing damage to the reverse clutch. Luckily it sounds like its the reverse clutch (band, as oppsoed to the second gear clutch pack, which is the other part of reverse). Maybe do a tranny fluid change, but i dont think it will help..

nipper

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:22 AM

I would not fix it on a travel car myself as its pretty expensive. If you do want to fix it my brother in law might know somebody. He is over in Queenstown and run Pegasus car rental there. He always has several Subies to rent to skiers.
Let me know if you want me to email Norm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users