Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto tranny reverse problems

Hi Folks,

Need help, on a round the world trip, so bought a 92 legacy 1.8 auto to get around new zealand, everything was grand, but now reverse is not working, if you rev engine hard it will move slowly, or if your reversing downhill its ok, All forward gears are perfect. What is the problem? Is it handy fix, as you can imagine cash is tight so cheap quick fix would be excellant. ive checked the oil and its normal red colour, correct level, maybe a small bit high, but no signs of clutch burnout.

cheers john (ireland)

This is not a good thing. Best thing to do is avoid parking anywhere you need to back out. The high reving is sliiping and doing damage to the reverse clutch. Luckily it sounds like its the reverse clutch (band, as oppsoed to the second gear clutch pack, which is the other part of reverse). Maybe do a tranny fluid change, but i dont think it will help..

nipper

I would not fix it on a travel car myself as its pretty expensive. If you do want to fix it my brother in law might know somebody. He is over in Queenstown and run Pegasus car rental there. He always has several Subies to rent to skiers.

Let me know if you want me to email Norm.