Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Q

Now the Fuel pump is down in the left front corner of the deck in my Brat isn't it('81)? When you turn the ignition on you can hear it ticking away like it should, but it seems to be going flat out the whole time, is this normal? I thought it would just pump as its needed, but not when the car is stopped. This would probably add to bad fuel mileage too if it were a problem. Is it?

JohnB

Hmm, the fuel pump in my '79 wagon (same body style) is on the passengers side of the firewall, but the brat may be different.

It should tick away quickly at first, but slow down to perhaps one tick every 5-10 seconds if the engine isn't started.

It shouldn't affect your mileage, but if its ticking fast all teh time you should probably check for leaks in your lines, or perhaps try another pump.

Ok, thanks, and I meant right side:-p . It seems to keep pumping at a fairly constant speed all the time, instead of slowing up once its built up pressure, I havn't noticed any leaks etc anywhere, no drips anyway. Thanks for that though, was just wondering what the case was, whether or not it was supposed to pump constantly.

JohnB