Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leg/Outback rack onto a GL

HooptyGL

Hey i've been breaking the cross bars on my GL's factory rack like no other. What's to blame is having a fully loaded rocket box getting blown around up there at 75-80 mph. Has anyone 'retrofitted' a factory roof rack from a 94 or newer Legacy GT or better (better being outback) onto a GL or Loyale? When I asked the fools at the dealership in town they gave me with a real disconcerning look and said they had no idea if it would work, nor would they install it if it did.

neal

yeah my only reservation is the rack footing possibly damaging the roof. hows the weather up in haines? i was just up there in june and july as a part of a college class and it is freaking beautifal. i was thinking about doing my senior project up there doing some salmon studies on the chilkat.

neal

The Thule/Yakima racks just clamp onto the gutters, which are STRONG. Very little possibility of roof damage there.

You were in Haines? That's awesome! You didn't happen to see my car did you? It's the only lifted subaru in town:cool: . If you come up again, give me a ring and I'll hook you up with a free/cheap raft trip with the company I work for.

i saw a lifted soob with what looked like 13-15 in rims in the chilkat river guides parking lot. this was back in june. maybe it was yours. my class took a float down the river and we had some cute girl paddling the boat. she was a riot though talking about these whale's that get off the cruise ships that she needs to keep from getting wet.

i just put the thule feet onto my gutters and had to move them once and left some real bad marks above the gutters, im kicking myself in the rump roast over that one. but now the box will stay on without having to tie it down with shoelaces and i can get the hatch to open up all the way.

i dont remember her name but we floated right past her place she was living in or moving into on the river. cool story about the subsistance fishing village moving on the elders vision of destruction and saving them all!

are you still running the smaller rims with that lift?

neal

I've got the same 14" Pug steelies with 27" BFG A/T's on there that you saw this summer. I know the rims look kinda small, but they were the right price and I like having a bit more tire than rim because I think there's less chance of damaging the rims on rocks and stuff.