Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Coil & Carb Issues

A couple thousand ago I re-sealed my EA-82. Didn't do much good but since then it has run like crap. No idle, sparks around the ignition system. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor made no difference. I think I may have wired the coil backwards. Any ideas on which wire colors going to the + and -?

BTW, 1985 (built in '84) 4x4 wagon, 5-sp manual w/Hitachi.

Thanks...

since you said you did plugs and wires and cap, I would check to see if you have your wires on the correct cylinders.I know that would make it run like crap.

A couple thousand ago I re-sealed my EA-82. Didn't do much good but since then it has run like crap. No idle, sparks around the ignition system. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor made no difference. I think I may have wired the coil backwards. Any ideas on which wire colors going to the + and -?

BTW, 1985 (built in '84) 4x4 wagon, 5-sp manual w/Hitachi.

Thanks...

Sparks = lots o' blue lights under the hood.

I was going to switch the leads on the coil but read in another thread that improper wiring can kill the brain in the distributor.

By running like crap I mean that it won't idle unless I crank up the idle screw to 1,500 rpm.

I don't think that there is a relation and from what I have read on some of the threads it is most likely a loose/broke vaccuum line however I didn't find anything yet.

By the by, it sat in my back 40 for two years after my reseal job. Don't use non-Subaru gasket kits. Period.