Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My tires are developing cracks in the sidewalls. My front left is the worst. Now last time that this happened, I couldnt legally leave the tire place with out putting on my spare. So Im apprehensive about going some place and asking about them.

The cracks arent severe, but the treads are also worn down too. I would say that theres another 2000 miles left on the tires but with the cracks Im afraid. I dont know how old the tires are. Any thoughts?

You have dry rot. The tires are not safe. Replace them. Period. The tires have no life left on them at all.

Not to pick on you, but is amazes me how many people are willing to take a chance on their lives and the lives of others.

nipper

I have to agree....a cheap set of WalMart tires will serve you better than ones with dry rot and little tread left. I knew of a young man, 21 years old, who died in a car crash because the tires he had on his car were tread bare and hydroplained <sp?> during a heavy rain storm. This caused him to spin out of control and into the lane of oncoming traffic. How do I know about this young man? Because the car he hit when he spun out of control and crossed the centre line was my brothers. My brother was lucky and lived. I feel so sorry for the young man who died. He was just coming home from his first shift at his new job. His parents said he was planning to buy a new set of tires with his first pay check :( Too bad his parents didn't front him the money...he may still be alive today and my brother wouldn't have the injuries he has :(

Sorry for the rant....my .02....get new tires asap.

UC

I for one have not been able to afford new tires in the past.... or oil changes.... or gas... or insurance. Not making escuses, but just that I've been there.

Are there conditions that promote dry rot? Is there anything one can do to prevent it?

I never knew that about garages being legally responsible for the condition of the vehicles leaving their shop but it makes perfect sense.

I once had a garage let me drive away without any brakes! Sounds rediculous I know... but the bad part is that they never told me the brakes were out of order. They even left the keys in it for me for after hours pick up.

Ok i need to get on the milkbox again. if you cant afford to properly maintain a vehical you should not be driving it, period. There is no valid excuse for driving a car with bad tires, brakes, or steering parts. I dont know why people dont understand it is not a right to drive a car but a privilidge, and with that there are responsabilities.

Having operating brakes, good tires and lights are important. If you have a child run out infront of you and hit them and hurt them or worse because of bad tires, nt only is it your fault, but your the one that going to get sued, and hvae to face things like manslaughter or assult charges depending upon the state.

Yes as a shop owher, it is there responasablity to protect a person from themselves, and from killing others.

I too have been there, and have chosen not to drive. And yes ive gotten creamed because somone had one bald tire on thier car in a light rain.

That said, folks, nothing lasts for ever. The air and daylight is a very hostile enviorment to tires. Luckily tires usually wear out before dry rot sets in. Ozone, pollution, lack of use and age will do this to tires.

In NY if you have an State inspection license, you can let a car go with a major mechanical problem, but if that car gets into an accident within 30 days, your screwed.

nipper, i somewhat agree but,there has been plenty of wrecks with cars that had new tires in the rain and still hydrplained.ill bet that not onehalf of one percent of accidents is from faulty equipment.where i live in ohio we do not have a state inspection,and comparisions have been made with no evidence that it matters.put the blame where it belongs,with the person behind the wheel.most people that has no brakes drive slower,you know what i mean. ed

You know it all comes down to, do you want to take the unecassary risk of hurting yourself, your loved one, another human or worse.

http://www.mvhog.org/userpages/media/July2003newsletter.pdf (the numbers they site a re all vehicals, not just motorcycles)

http://commerce.senate.gov/hearings/testimony.cfm?id=1210&wit_id=3479

The number of hydroplaning accidents caused by low tire tread is not presently reported. Nonetheless, it is clear that low tire tread is the primary cause of hydroplaning. A typical new tire sold now has 10/32 of an inch of tread depth. According to a recent Consumer Reports study, a tire with only 5/32 of an inch of remaining tread has a significant decrease in function if driven in rain or snow. As the TREAD Act is fully implemented, reporting to the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) is enhanced, and the accuracy of accident reconstruction and reporting improves, we can only expect the reported number of tire-related deaths to increase.

nipper

You have dry rot. The tires are not safe. Replace them. Period. The tires have no life left on them at all.

Not to pick on you, but is amazes me how many people are willing to take a chance on their lives and the lives of others.

nipper

DITTO

And,,, as far as brakes are concerned,,,,,

being able to stop thousands of pounds of rolling weight is way more inportant than being able to make it roll;)