Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02' Legacy GT Auto - High pitch noise above 3500 rpm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Nice to meet ya all.

I have a 02' legacy GT, about 80Kmiles on it, had it since new, and it has been well behaving since then, never did anything to it myself beyond the oil/filter changes. The rest serviced by the dealer, but now as the warranty expires, i'd have to start learning it.

It has recently developed a strange habit:

When getting above 3500 rpm - both at hi-way speed, or just revving it at idle, it is making a high-pitch, almost screeching sound, that seem to be coming from transmission, or towards the rear from it.

What could that be and how dangerous is it

Thanks for the advice,

-michael

Does it do it in neutral and park?

Wonder if you have an exhaust leak.

Read your message before leaving from work, and tried it on my way home,

actually it doesn't. Only while driving at the hiway speed.

It makes this noise only if I kickdown with the gas pedal (it's an auto), if I just shift it from D to 3 at around 60 mph it gets to 4k rpm with no sound.

Did you ever find the problem?

I don't know, may be.

This morning on my way to work it started sound as if it had a 3'' exhaust all the way while accelerating above 3.5 rpm.... In addition to that high-pitch sound...

So I am afraid it is exhaust leak.

Is it common at 77Kmiles on a legacy?

Sounds like you have a crack someplace that's getting worse. Obviously, take a look for one. They generally develop on or around welds.

Additionally, stick it in first and tool around on and off the throttle at lower speeds while checking for it. That'll make sure you don't have road noise to contend with which should make it a bit easier to ascertain the general area from which the sound is coming.

...It'll also be fun too. Zoom! :-p