Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 SOHC t-belt pulley advice....

pulled the t-belt off of my cousins 2000 2.5 liter subaru. SOHC 2.5. trying to decide whether to replace the pulleys or not. the tensioner pulley makes no noise at all but doesn't free-wheel much at all. i spin it and it stop almost immediately, but it makes no noise and feels very smooth. the rest of the pulleys (and the toothed sprocket/pulley) spin freely and keep spinning for awhile after i spin them but they make a little noise. not much...all about the same, but you can hear them spinning. what designates a pulley i should replace? what do brand new pulleys spin like? do they make no noise at all and spin freely? try to stop by a dealer today and hear one if i can split out of work for a bit.

what prices/advice can anyone give for these parts? i know they are expensive, trying to keep the bill down for her. no labor charges but the freaking parts are still over the top...

i always tell the customer if it makes noise, replace it. new ones won't spin that freely and are silent. if you can hear them now, they will definently go bad before the new timing belt does (105,000 miles). and that engine is interferance so don't risk it. what are the subaru part numbers for the parts you need? pm them to me. did you ever get the tool?

pulled the t-belt off of my cousins 2000 2.5 liter subaru. SOHC 2.5. trying to decide whether to replace the pulleys or not. the tensioner pulley makes no noise at all but doesn't free-wheel much at all. i spin it and it stop almost immediately, but it makes no noise and feels very smooth. the rest of the pulleys (and the toothed sprocket/pulley) spin freely and keep spinning for awhile after i spin them but they make a little noise. not much...all about the same, but you can hear them spinning. what designates a pulley i should replace? what do brand new pulleys spin like? do they make no noise at all and spin freely? try to stop by a dealer today and hear one if i can split out of work for a bit.

what prices/advice can anyone give for these parts? i know they are expensive, trying to keep the bill down for her. no labor charges but the freaking parts are still over the top...

no, didn't get the tool. may get it later, don't need it now.

not sure on the part numbers, but i feared if they spun freely the grease is mostly gone. they basically all spin freely except the tensioner which feels smooth and makes zero noise. those prices are insane. i'm contemplating getting them that's an a$$ load of cash for a dinky pulley. i was trying to help by doing it for free and now it's hundreds of dollars???? dang it.

i'll post part numbers if i figure it out soon....