Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings all!

I was happy to find a new (to me) Subaru forum. Everyone seems friendly and knowledgeable - I'm looking forward to some good threads. :)

I'm looking for opinions on repairing the current OB, or getting a newer Subie.

Here's the deal:

1996 Outback Wagon

2.2L 5MT

~185,000 milles (I'm the second owner - 90k are mine)

I'm 99% certain it needs a clutch and flywheel job...:banghead:

Symptioms:

A "chirp" that disappears when with a little pressure on the clutch.

A loud grinding or bearing type noise is very noticable when you're on the gas, and is still present, but much softer when off the gas.

Stuttering/jerking if you lift off of or get on the gas suddenly.

Slow "pick-up" - when I engage the clutch and step on the gas, it seems like it takes a second for the power to get to the wheels (but the clutch is not slipping).

Lately it realy doesn't like to stay in 4th gear - it's ok if I'm on the gas, but if I let up it has been tending to pop out of gear - no noise associated with this behavior, but it is very reproducable. Also happens in 3rd sometimes.

It is not "slipping" whjen I get on the gas with the clutch engaged, there are no extra revs, no trouble passing or going up hills.

Most of these sumptoms have been getting worse over the last 6-12 months.

I've been quoted ~$950 + tax for a complete clutch job, inclufing flywheel, from an independent shop, and $1100 from the dealer.:rolleyes:

The kicker is that I've already put $2000 into the car this year - 60k service + Timing Belt, front breaks, and then a new Cat secion in the exhaust.

So... gents and ladies - what would you do? Fix it and drive it 'till it dies, or get a newer one?

Thanks in advance.

Keep it because:

It's a well taken care of car, with (I presume) mostly highway miles. It's a lot younger than most cars with that many miles on the odo.

A '96 2.2L with a 5MT? The last year for the non-interference version of the longest-lasting Subaru engine ever, the EJ22. Plus, no slushbox to wear out.

But:

That's a lot of miles for any car.

You can see it's getting expensive to mantain, with the annual repair cost greater than the value of the car.

It would be a great car for someone who works on his own car. Sell it to a college student or a friend or family member who turns his own wrenches, and someone new will fall in love with Subarus.

i would fix the clutch. You knwo the car. The work you have done in the past will just have to be done to another subaru. i would suggest doing a compression test on the engine. If the numbers are good, go for it. If you like the car, go for it. The money you are putting into the car are just normal wear items. i dont see anything unreasonable.

nipper