Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anti-knock sensor, seafoam and plugs

I have a 98 OBW, I am getting some missing around 2500 rpm after putting in some good belden plug wires. After reading I learning to go get the OEM and put them in, it appears to be the anti knock sensor. After I get the code reader tomorrow, I plan to change the anti knock sensor most likely. Where is it located? I replaced the plugs with NKG, but did not use the anti seize. SHould I get back in there soon and get some in there? It has 153K and I plan to get a lot of miles.

Where do I get seafoam?

I wish I knew about this forum ten years ago when I first started driving subys.

This place is great.

michael

Seafoam is available at our local NAPA stores.

I have a 98 OBW, I am getting some missing around 2500 rpm after putting in some good belden plug wires. After reading I learning to go get the OEM and put them in, it appears to be the anti knock sensor. After I get the code reader tomorrow, I plan to change the anti knock sensor most likely. Where is it located? I replaced the plugs with NKG, but did not use the anti seize. SHould I get back in there soon and get some in there? It has 153K and I plan to get a lot of miles.

Where do I get seafoam?

I wish I knew about this forum ten years ago when I first started driving subys.

This place is great.

michael

It's a buck per can less than the Napa at the local Parts store in town, for that miracle can of nectar of the autogods.

Later,

Peter

Where do I get seafoam?

This place is great.

michael

The knock sensor is bolted to the top of the engine under the intake manifold. Search the forums - there're pictures in here. You can reach it with a long extension just next to the throttle body...

are there problems with Belden wires? I've still got some occassional missing on my 97 OBW with new Beldens, but also THINK I have a loose connector on the #2 wire at the plug, after checking plugs several weeks ago. Parts dealer says they are warranted, so will bring them in for a new set this weekend.

This weekend also includes a new exhaust and re-removing the belts, and timing belt to finally change the oil pump o-ring which I learned about after replacing the main seal, cam seals, and timing belt a while ago but not fixing the oil leak. Should have read the board more carefully before that!!

There are post that mention that belden give off too much EMI and can mess up the sensor. I took back my beldens two days after I got them b/c of the problems. the good post mention the ohm reading for beldens are out of the specs.

I got some OEM at the dealer for the same price.

Things are better now except for the knock sensor.

I think the sensor might have went bad with the EMI (electromagnetic interference)

Thanks for the heads up, I saw the pics. I also read someone just putting in a resistor b/c the anti knock sensor is not really needed.

Michael