Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo wagon running temp?

Guest jibber

Guest jibber

After a brief leave of absence, I am the proud new owner of another turbo subaru. I have recently recieved an 88 turbo wagon, I put new head gaskets in it and a new 2 row radiator. the temp seems to vary greatly with load / boost / AC on. it has gotten up to 3/4 up the stock gaudge. is this normal?

In the RX I had It had no AC but I never remember this much waivering. I have not driven it that much yet but the turbo sounds "whiny" any thoughts? my galant vr4 sits rock solid at 180 deg and it has only a touch more power.

Josh

88 turbo wagon

90 justy (runs?)

91 Galant vr4 (rally car to be)

85 accord for sale $500 35mpg

Guest calebz

Analog or Digidash.. My didgidash does what you describe. Did it less when I regrounded a bunch of things under the hood.

Guest jmr052

I also did what you just finished, pulled engine did all gaskets and added the two row rad. My temp gauge on the digidash reads halfway until the thermostat opens and then goes down a bar. I did add a 180 t-stat though. This has continued to be the way it runs even running at 80 mph with the outside temp over 100.

Jay

'89 TTW D/R FT4wd

Guest jibber

analog, I have seen the issues that the digi dash has. I hope this is not an issue to necessitate another engine pulling....

Ps I pulled the thermostat untill i get the temp issues under control.

thanks

Josh

Guest Dennis

hate to say it man...

but while sitting in traffic, or putting a nice load on the motor with the A/C on, 3/4 of the way up on the temp guage isnt out of the realm of "normal" from my experience with EA82T engines.

the car will be fine, with a new rad i seriously doubt its going to try and sneak up anymore on the temp guage. just dont try to tow a trailer up a steep hill with the A/C on full blast and your foot mashed to the floor while the motor is doing 5 grand on the tach.

got me?

Guest UltimateRX

My sedan use to get into the 200 range of temperature, but not any more, it runs at around 165 to 180 all day long, get over 180 only when drive up a long steep hill, and that is with the A/C on. I bypassed the digital dash and installed an analog guage in a pillar pod on the driver side to give me true temp readings. I have a 165 degree thermostat. I replaced the head gaskets about 3,000 miles ago and the cooling system has not lost any water since. I use the orange anti freeze.

Guest Cougar4

I would the coolant checked for exhaust gases in it. I assume you checked the heads for cracks before putting them back on. These heads are prone to cracking I understand.

My 88 turbo did the same kind of thing you are taking about before a headgasket job and head replacement. After the work the digital bar would stay just below center and not move more than two bars up or one bar down. Most of the time it stayed in one position.

Glen

Guest jibber

well I'm almost sure I need to replace one of the heads. it seems to be losing a small amount of coolant, but no steam. It was cracked but I have rebuilt a few of these. I have seen cracks before but I lost on this gamble. oh well thanks for the input

hey corky did you get your haltech running?

Josh

Guest UltimateRX

Well yes and no, I got it so that it would start, got it so it would run at near idle, but because of a problem with the clutch, I never got to test drive it before I sold it. The new owner has some other projects that are currently taking presidence over getting that RX driveable, but I was told that I'd be able to drive it once he got it moving under it's own power.

Guest Jaime Deal

Mine runs at 1/3 analog guage, but with the A/C on under 90 degrees outside it runs at 2/3. If the outside goes above 90, the car would run up into the red. I thought it was a cooling problem until I noticed that I did not have the problem on trips when the speed stayed over 50MPH. Added an extra fan to push the air through. Haven't had the problem since.

Guest Flowmastered87GL

My 86 turbowagon ran at about 225 degrees on the aftermarket analog guage I installed. I was running green coolant, double row radiator and a 195 thermostat It creeped up under significant boost as the sensor was RIGHT after the turbos water line.

My 87 turbowagon running a 180 theromostat ran at the middle of the digidash ALL THE TIME with a double row radiator and green coolant

Guest Meeky Moose

hmm, well my turbo wagon, runs about half ways up the bar, until yuou get sittin in traffic, then it creeps up to 2/3. I don't have a clutch fan either. so i wired the ac fan to a toggle switch. flick that puppy on in traffic and whala, stays at half temp all the time. now when i ran my ac, it didn't matter how fast you were goin, the car would flat out get up to the red.... i thought it might be a cooling prob. but.. then my ac got warm... so i found the leak, fixed it, and charged the ac system, and bam my ac compressor will run for about 10 min, till it gets warm, then it will start squeelin and lock up..

so i think it was just my compressor lockin up makin the car work too hard thus overheating :mad:

i have a 2 row radiator, no clutch fan, digidash, and 286k:p

Guest jibber

Thought you might want to know. I put an real temp gaudge in my wagon today and wow it gets HOT! I thought you might want to know on mine the factory gaudge reads half way to the red and the "real" gaudge reads 215!!!!! so neadless to say it comes apart again.