Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Most reliable Subaru engine?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say EA81 as well. Ive owned quite a few of them and they have all been low maitenance, and last forever. My 1st car was a EA71 which after a while refused to hold oil. Rear main seal was broken, and I was in highschool. Drove it with no oil for a few days until I sold it.

But ive owned 1 EA82 and 1 EJ22T, and now i have a EA82T as my daily driver. While these engines are still long lasting and relativly low maitenance, they definatly arent as bullet proof or reliable as any EA81.

-Brian

I'v owned ea71, ea81, ea82, ea82t, ej22 and ej25. The best motor out of all of them were the ea71 and ea81. They run forever!

Same opinion here with a slight edge to the simplicity of the EA71.

Personal opinion is that there should be an EA71 with SPFI available right now.But that ain't happenin'.

having driven every engine that subaru makes, 4 cylinders at any rate, i'm going with the EJ22, sure the EA-81 is bullet proof, but in an EJ, you never have to mess with timing, tuneup intervals are spread farther with the EJ, and lets be honest, the EJ22 has 20 years newer technology in it, which arguably makes it better.

If i was to stick my mom in an older, 95 and older subie, i would stick her in any subie with an EJ22, cause she can't and won't deal with the little problems that creap up with an older subaru with old school parts.

FWIW, the EJ's that i've driven with high miles run much better than the EA's with high mileage.

Final note, the EJ22 dosn't have the carb problems that the EA-81 does, Game, Set, Match.

Im going to have to go with the EA-81. Ive had two of them and neither one of them has ever let me down because of the engine (alternator has let down though on my current ride though). There are no belts to change or timing chains to go bad. Parts are cheap and you can do most if not all of the work on it yourself without needing to know anything about computers. My first EA-81 sat for three years before i got to it and all i did was change the oil and put a new battery in it and it fired up on the third try. Now thats a good engine in my opinion! Not going to comment on how it ran though :-)

i have only ever owned an ea81 and it cops a floging from my diving. it still goes hard. i also work for a subaru dealer and very rarley see any of the troubles that i have heard so much about here on the USMB relating to the EJ25. the only reliability issue with any of the EJ motors i have seen is the odd t/belt tensioner going bad at about 125000Km and a few waterpumps so now we change the tensioner with the belt every 100000Km and the waterpump gets checked buy the foreman while the belt is of and since have had no troubles so i would be happy using any subaru engine at any time in any vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

I know you are asking about reliability and such. I also see that you are looking for a new car. The EA81 seems to be a popular answer. The EA81 in my experience is simply not enough power. I actually like to drive 75MPH in a 75MPH Speed Zone. I also like to be able to pass on the Mountain passes of the Rockies.

The EJ22 is probably what you want to get. The EJ22 is also used in Airplanes and other applications. I dont think I will buy anymore EA81 Cars ever. I have one that ran like hell, but it now rests in my Subaru Graveyard waiting for a EJ22 retrofit. Best car I ever owned was a 92 Legacy Touring Wagon. I know Turbo probably isnt the way to go as it is only a matter of time before the heads get blown. Sure is fun while it lasts.