Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Most reliable Subaru engine?

If they built an EJ22 without digital fuel injection and computers and emmisions equiptment and other natural enimies of poor people I would consider one, even prefer it, but I simply don't have the money to fix those electronic demons when they eventually fail.

the electronic parts are way more reliable then the carb and the old school ignition, sure there more expensive but they fail much less. i have 2 EJ powered cars, and now have a third, and the 2 that i've had running, have been running like champs with no interference for over a year, with the older motors, caps rotors and other items had to be replaced frequently.

don't forget to add in the time working on the car into the money quotent, if it takes 4 hours to clean out a carb and re-install it, what does that cost you?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EA81 -- noisy and never had much power, but it always started up, and was easy to fix if anything broke (which didn't happen much). Earlier carbs are better -- because they WILL wear out and need rebuilding, and the earlier ones were simpler. My '82 GL started up immediately, drove out of the snowbank, jump started someones truck, and drove itself to the local highschool to be used in the shop class on the day when I finally got rid of it. I miss it. To bad the rust was pretty much winning the battle with the body and frame.

If you don't want a 25 year old car (if you like heated seats, power mirrors, a CD player, travel at the speed limit on the highway, not have your friends shun taking a ride in your car, etc) then an EJ22.

But I haven't heard that any of the subaru engines have really serious problems (unless you count head gaskets as serious)

Z

Study up on the new stuff, the more you know the more you will learn to trust it, i'm sure you remember a day when adjusting the carb and setting the timing was intimidating.

I know what you mean. I grew up helping my dad fix his '73 ford pickup. After 29 years of replacing parts on that, he finally gave in a few years ago and got a used '96 outback for the daily driver. He's finally admitting it's okay to work on, and not that much more complicated than the old truck. Just different.

Zeke

EJ22 hands down for me, 254K miles and still going strong. Don't miss the distributer one bit. Never had problem with engine controls/FI other than cleaning the IAC and normal maintainance-plugs, wires, filters, timing belt, etc. The EA71 was OK but did fail and replaced with a new crate engine, that developed a problem(mfr fixed it) too.

No experience with other Subaru engines......

The only problem I ever had with my ea81 was when I foolishly put an Accel on it. I never had a single fuel delivery problem and I never rebuilt or replaced any part of it( except the fuel filter)

It was underpowered, but it ALWAYS started and ran with no problems. Even at -15 farenheit, it would fire right up. Sure it was a turbo and had mpfi, but it was still an EA81.

words of wisdom from the subaru shop itself (and personal experience)

best engines....

EA81 (long lasting, strong, easy to work on, but intake and electronics too primitive for modern tuning and always need adjusting...)

EJ22 these will run almost forever, and they are easy to work on once you learn the "new stuff"

EZ30 timing chain and sealed metal front cover... like making the "new ea81" so far, the least problematic engine in the newer gen cars...

EJ20T - also a good strong long lasting engine

(EJ20, EZ30 are in the shop the least out of the new gen cars, for engine related issues)

the worst-

EA82 and EA82T... bad cooling system, weak heads (easily cracked) timing belts that need constant attention, and leak oil like no other! (thanks to the cam towers using only glue, no gasket)

EJ25 DOHC (1997-99) HG issues, other strange piston slap... ect..

(and lets not forget the justy engine!) rod-knock!!

(and lets not forget the justy engine!) rod-knock!!

Its unfortunate, there is a design problem with the oil pump that leads to premature wear especially if the oil isnt changed regularly (with these cars being so cheap, that happens fairly often) If not for this the motor would be as reliable as the other subarus. Its a little screamer too, I've passed 8k rpm several times. The land speed record car was going at 11500rpm :slobber:

I've had a EJ22 and now have a EA81. Both were great for their own reasons. I miss the power of the EJ22, but the simplicity of the EA81 makes up for it. Friend has a 93 Legacy wagon 2wd that just turned 302,000, still going strong with cold A/C. Way to build 'em Subaru.

Hmm...

I've owned 2 EA-81s for well over 200k between the two and was never left sitting in one.

I have a EA27 that left me sit 2x in 50k as a timing belt broke (which was replaced within the 60k I might add) and an alt went and within 15 minutes I was motionless.

I have an EJ33 that is the only Subaru to let me sit (granted not engine related but Alternator went out and within 15 minutes I was motionless). I might add that didn't happen when my EA-81 alt. went. I drove it for another 2 days until the part came in.

Never left sitting in a Justy

Never left sitting in my wifes POS Legacy but granted it only has 13k on it and I hate getting behind the wheel.

My vote though goes for my EF2 for the most reliable if I ever get the darn thing unseized and can fabricate a head for it. I'll bet Moosens doesn't even know what that is!!!:brow:

Hmm...

My vote though goes for my EF2 for the most reliable if I ever get the darn thing unseized and can fabricate a head for it. I'll bet Moosens doesn't even know what that is!!!:brow:

The "F" engine in my '68 Toyota Landcruiser has been pretty darned reliable. I believe it is Toyota's version of a Chevy 235 inline 6.

No timing belts to break (it has solid timing gears)... and of course no computer and a very simple ignition system that can be made operable with nothing more than a matchbook to gauge the points in the distributor and a 12v test light to static time it. Also, it has a very reliable mechanical fuel pump and a heavy cast iron head that rarely cracks or warps.

Tracy

The "F" engine in my '68 Toyota Landcruiser has been pretty darned reliable. I believe it is Toyota's version of a Chevy 235 inline 6.

No timing belts to break (it has solid timing gears)... and of course no computer and a very simple ignition system that can be made operable with nothing more than a matchbook to gauge the points in the distributor and a 12v test light to static time it. Also, it has a very reliable mechanical fuel pump and a heavy cast iron head that rarely cracks or warps.

Tracy

Oh it's a fuji engine!!! No Toys here.:brow: Its all Iron too!!!:)