Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My alternator in my 91 Legacy just went out and I am trying to figure out which one to buy. Here are my choices and you guys let me know which one you think I should get. Autolite, Duralast, Beck Arnley, and the Napa Supreme. Any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Buy a rebuilt from 1stsubaruparts.com (Auburn Subaru) - $67 plus shipping (plus $50 charge until original core is returned).

I just replaced the alt in my 96 OBW going this route.

12mo/12k warranty....

866-528-5282 talk to Jason in Parts

Buy a rebuilt from 1stsubaruparts.com (Auburn Subaru) - $67 plus shipping (plus $50 charge until original core is returned).

12mo/12k warranty....

Went exactly the same route a couple of years ago and alt is still fine.

12mo/12k warranty....

Are you sure on that price? Its seems way to cheap for an alternator. I dont think I have found one in years for under 100.00 dollars, for any car I have had. If this is correct then this is the best buy. However if it is not then I would buy the one from Auto Zone with the lifetime warranty and never worry about having to buy another one for that car again as long as you own it.

Yep, thats the price, I'm waiting for my credit on the old core.

I actually screwed up on returning the old core: When you receive the rebuilt it will come in a white box inside the shipping box. The white box you will use to send the old alt back, and it has FROM: and TO: fields with the TO: field already printed with Subaru of America address in Ohio. Well, you need to send it back to Auburn Subaru in Washington state. They then ship a gross amount of old alts back to the SOA address, they get credited and credit you.

Anyway Jason at Auburn straighten out my mistake and I should be receiving my credit soon on the old core (I hope...)

Note: You do have to pay the shipping on the old core back to Auburn.

Autozone, Advance, Discount, Pepboys, etc, etc. sell what I call " Patchwork rebuilds." I know for a FACT, that all the rebuild person does is replace what is defective, clean & paint. A " shiny" alternator may look good but be used junk inside. I have seen many torn down that were supposedly rebuilt from those retailers.

Autozone, Advance, Discount, Pepboys, etc, etc. sell what I call " Patchwork rebuilds." I know for a FACT, that all the rebuild person does is replace what is defective, clean & paint. A " shiny" alternator may look good but be used junk inside. I have seen many torn down that were supposedly rebuilt from those retailers.

I think what you say happens, but I dont think it is the general practice.

Yes,I have seen the " patchwork" rebuilds firsthand. A friend has a local rebuild shop in my hometown, & he & I took a tour of a competitors shop. This place has all immigrants working there " rebuilding" for major parts houses like Autozone, etc. Autozone will not buy from my friends shop because he is too expensive.[ he is thorough] They buy from this other guys shop, because all his " rebuilds" are $15/each. WHAT do you think you can get for $15 ?