Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hesitation in a 91 Legacy 2.2l auto?

Ok, in SE PA its been raining for the past week and a half. Two days out of the 10, I noticed a problem with the legacy.

Both times, I started the car, it started up and idled fine. I put it in drive, and started to leave my neighborhood. I didn't let the car warm up either time. About half way up the hill coming out of the neighborhood, I noticed something wrong. The car was hesitating pretty badly. From a stop sign on the hill, I could barely get up the hill. the first time it happened, I got to the top, and was about to turn around....I drove maybe 3/4 of a mile. I tried to stay off the gas, because I didnt want to flood the engine. well it seemed to correct itself. The second time I got about 2 miles away, and it was still happening. I got off the off ramp, sat at a light for about 2 minutes to turn around, and again it corrected itself.

First I thought the auto tranny was going, but the engine wasnt racing...no slippage. Then I thought there could be some moisture in teh fuel from all the rain. I was also thinking that maybe its the sparkplugs are going and it wasnt firing on all cylinders. I'm no expert, so I need some opinions.

Can anybody offer some insight to waht the problem is? Thanks in advance!

-Bill

Ummm, is this happening at any particular RPM range (like 2000 - 3000 RPM for example?) Have you changed your fuel recently (meaning changed brand/octane rating)?

Im pretty sure that its moisture related. I havent had the problem since it stopped raining.

Maybe i wasnt clear...it more than a hesitation. it feels like it is hardly running. The more gas I give, the more it feels like its bogging down.

Legacy777- Thanks for the idea.

Our 2000 Legacy has been behaving exactly like this for several months. Not temperature, humidity, rpm, time/miles driven, or phase of the moon related. No CEL, won't do it often or severe enough to take it in for an attempt at a diagnostic.

I did change out fuel filter (the fuel in it was perfectly clear).

Most frustrating.

Our 2000 Legacy has been behaving exactly like this for several months. Not temperature, humidity, rpm, time/miles driven, or phase of the moon related. No CEL, won't do it often or severe enough to take it in for an attempt at a diagnostic.

I did change out fuel filter (the fuel in it was perfectly clear).

Most frustrating.

haha, nice.

Its only happened twice, and like i said, it was raining for more than a week. I only assumed that its water/moisture related. now im not sure again. I'll deal with it, as long as the car isnt gonna leave me sit somewhere. I think i just have to let it warm up better.