Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo.....

Guest BFP-closed

Guest BFP-closed

well... i called all over the place and u pull it is the only place that has ONE. I DO NOT like them - but whats a guy to do?

maybe a stupid question.... can i do some modifications and put another turbo on, or maybe modify it to run without one? (though the compression would be all wacked out)

just a thought.....

weeeellll...... i guess im off to upullit in a bit :^(

you would just be stuck with a gas guzzling pig without a turbo. you can get a turbo off any 80s car and switch the exhaust housing and compressor housing, and boom! turbo!

any ihi will do as long as its not from a legacy, they are too big.

ford probe, mazdas, ford tbirds, all kinds of turbos you can use! and the bigger one from a tbird is an upgrade :banana:

Oh no, not a straight swap. Although you can mix and match the parts. I've got a friend that built a turbo rabbit, and he's useing a turbo that consist of a Ford t-bird center senction, a GL-10 hot side, and a Legacy cold side. Another friend, on his Legacy has the Legacy hot side with the T-bird cold side. So you can build a turbo that is bigger and better without haveing to fab up different mounting flanges on the crossover. The IHI hybrid has been in the works for over a year now, and both the hybrids here work great. Although if you get just one bigger turbo, you will have to get different flanges put on, as the flange on the EJ22 crossover is quite a bit bigger than the EA82 one. You get the idea. Plus with just a plain bigger turbo, your prolly not going to make full boost untill a higher rpm, thats where the hybrids are better, they don't drastically increase the rpm which you make full boost. Hope this helps.

Heck, for $150 I would pull one and ship it to ya.

Seriously, mine started squealing and then a few miles later, white smoke. Can you say hello to a head gasket makeover? You really need to get on it as there is no telling how long it will last or what will happen when it goes out.

Jay

i guess the t-bird turbo is the best option for a direct swap upgrade. but it has to be the biggest one that came on the t-bird, because there were two or three different ones. and i think just about any turbo other than the stock subaru one is an upgrade, because they were all made for dohc motors that were 2.0 or bigger. just dont take any of the wheels off of the center piece, and make sure the compressor doesnt hit the aluminum housing. fun stuff:burnout: