Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I have a 95 Legacy L AWD and was wondering if anyone is having the same problem where the regular headlights is not lighting up the roads well? I personally tried replacing the standard halogens to Sylvania Silverstars but it still feels dim. Perhaps I am spoiled with HIDs from my other cars or where I live where there aren't enough street lighting but I'm just curious if anyone else have made attempts to make their headlights brighter. I thought about aftermarket HID kits and/or installing a set of fog/driving lights but prefer to avoid these options if I can. One thing I did notice is that my headlights are a little yellow. Can they be cleaned? or maybe replaced? Any advice or help will be appreciated.

Hi, I have a 95 Legacy L AWD and was wondering if anyone is having the same problem where the regular headlights is not lighting up the roads well? I personally tried replacing the standard halogens to Sylvania Silverstars but it still feels dim. Perhaps I am spoiled with HIDs from my other cars or where I live where there aren't enough street lighting but I'm just curious if anyone else have made attempts to make their headlights brighter. I thought about aftermarket HID kits and/or installing a set of fog/driving lights but prefer to avoid these options if I can. One thing I did notice is that my headlights are a little yellow. Can they be cleaned? or maybe replaced? Any advice or help will be appreciated.

Your biggest problem is that yoru headlight lenses are hazed over. There are several methods to correct this problem. The one I use is to take a small bit of brake fluid and rub off the worst of the haze, and follow that with toothpaste on a wet cloth. Get the cheap paste type toothpaste, not the gell. Apply with a liberal amount of elbow grease, and all should be well.

One other thing to check is that the headlights are aimed correctly. There should me a bubble level in the top of each headlight housing. Adfjust the pitch (up and down) on a level surface until the bubble is centered on the marks, then adjust the angle (left and right) so that they light up a good portian of the road ahead of you, but do not overlap significantly.

By combining these solutions, you will be bringing your headlights up to the standard that they were when new. I find that my Legacy lights up the road just fine even on low beams.