Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NOT YET - Dead 1996 Legacy

I've had mysterious vanishing oil problem for a coupla months on my wife's car. My mechanic couldn't find any leaks, so I've been topping it up between oil changes. I've been losing about a quart every 3000K. Lately, the lossage increased some and I decided to take it back to the mechanic.

Too late! The engine is seized.

Now I've got an almost 10 year old car with over 160,000 KM (100K mi. for the 'mercans) and am facing the choice of getting a remanuf. engine installed at goodness knows what cost. I fear that I would just be wasting my money and would be better off writing this vehicle off.

Anybody in Ottawa Canada want to make me an offer on a Subbie Wagon with a stuck engine?

Car(e)less in Canada

A 2.2 from the junkyard shouldn't cost too much and most of them are really reliable so there shouldn't be any issues. However labor will also add to the cost, but equally if reman or not. I suggest you find out how much both options costs and go from the there. Or maybe buy another Subbie wagon of similar year and use yours for spare parts if your mechanically inclined.

My two cents. :-)

I was going on a second-hand description of the failure. I got a chance to look it over, and the stall and no start is electrical (I'm guessing alternator).

Doh!

Still feel like the car is too frequently in the shop and the parts are usually 3 times more than a domestic would be.

Think I'll clean it up and get it to market.

or not . . .

Originally posted by Randomize

I've had mysterious vanishing oil problem for a coupla months on my wife's car. My mechanic couldn't find any leaks, so I've been topping it up between oil changes. I've been losing about a quart every 3000K. Lately, the lossage increased some and I decided to take it back to the mechanic.

Too late! The engine is seized.

Now I've got an almost 10 year old car with over 160,000 KM (100 mi. for the 'mercans) and am facing the choice of getting a remanuf. engine installed at goodness knows what cost. I fear that I would just be wasting my money and would be better off writing this vehicle off.

Anybody in Ottawa Canada want to make me an offer on a Subbie Wagon with a stuck engine?

Car(e)less in Canada

Randomize,

Last winter I found a used '97 2.2L engine for my '92 legacy. It has 100k km and the timing belt is new. I paid 400$cdn for it, from a shop that rebuilds damaged wrx and 0-2 year old damaged subaru (most of them from the states).

THe engine on the '92 legacy is still going ok, but with that small head gasket leak, I rather wanted to have something in hand to replace the engine. Unfortunatly I don't want to sell the engine :(

But my point is, try to find a used engine for your car. Look in Québec if you don't find it cheap in Ontario... I'm sure you can find one pretty easily.

Good luck,

Syd

Thanks Syd -- good advice. Turned out I didn't need an engine -- but I may...

I got home from work today and the cursed thing is in the lane with a note from my wife (who should have had it at the time for her Friday evening girls night out) saying it is "acting up." Obviously she found a DD. But I sense another car-trouble-plagued weekend.

The car starts and seems to run and rev properly, but I am Mr. Mom tonight, so I didn't get to drive it, not wanting to be stranded with kids. I can't wait for the useful diagnostic information my extremely mechanically dis-inclined SO will provide.

...it was making a galumping noise and smelled like apricots... ;-)

With a car, it's like a relationship and this one is losing my trust. From pretty early on, during the honeymoon, it's appetite for octane started putting a dent in my wallet. Now the thrill is gone, OPEC has upped the price of her ethyl addiction, and I spend more than average $ on maintenance because Subaru parts are expensive.

I know -- quality costs money, but this is putting a strain on my marriage. It's the only car I ever needed a support group for. :-)

I now suspect that it was rode hard and put away wet by its original owner, despite showing clean. That's the deal with a used car -- a risk for price trade-off.

It's too bad, I would really like to share in the obvious enthusiasm of so many Subbie owners . . . sorry if I'm driving down your resale with my anecdotal experiences. :-)

Randomize

Looking for a good, reliable and affordable domestic car.

Originally posted by Lesbaru

What about talking to Emily at ccrinc.com? They do engines and could tell you how much it should all cost. (I have a 96 Legacy, so I ain't gonna tell ya to dump the thing!) And a 2.2 engine is a beautiful thing!

Emily did get in touch with a very fair price for a superior product.

Rand