Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL-10 Tranny Swap a SUCCESS! (pics)

The Subject:

88GL10.thumb.jpg

A 1988 Subaru GL-10 FWD 3pd Auto. (Non-turbo) 3pd Auto took a big fat dump about 1/2 mile from getting it home in "one piece". Had to take a half axle out just to roll it home. Bought a 5spd fwd tranny out of an ea82 from the local u-pull-it with all the needed parts for ~$150. Then all the "tune-up" parts for ~$150. I didn't keep track of the exact hours but I put about three days in to it. Here's a good shot for all you digi-dash lovers:

DigiDashGL10.thumb.jpg

You'll notice it says it's in park... I wired it in "park" so it's able to start. The interior could use a little TLC.. like a shampoo or steam clean or..???:

InterGL10.thumb.jpg

You might notice I forgot to grab the proper shift boot cover for the thingy there... so I Gotta try to find one. Here's a couple pics of the tranny all bolted up:

SideTranGL10.thumb.jpg TopTranGL10.thumb.jpg

It's pretty much plug and play.. As long as you have the crossmember and crossmember mounting hardware it all bolts right up. I used the starter from the 5mt that I got.. but I'm told the one from the auto would work as well???

Anyway, there you have it. My first auto to manual swap! (Practice for the SVX!!!)

when I did my swap to 5mt 4wd the pedal box was an easy install....after you remove the dash and steering column....I am not sure if it was done in his case.

Subrat why didn't ya go 4wd??? It's really easy to install all the stuff needed for the rear drive line....or was there no tranny available?

good work. was it tough installing the clutch pedal + cable?

Hey.. it was pretty easy I suppose. The hardest part IMO. Really you just gotta take the two trim piece out that proctects all the ecu and wiring under the dash... pop the ecu out.. pop the steering column out.. and then switch out the pedal boxes... The cable was fairly easy to find a decent hole in the firewall to use but is route a little strangly. Works fine though.

Subrat why didn't ya go 4wd??? It's really easy to install all the stuff needed for the rear drive line....or was there no tranny available?

I didn't go 4wd for a few reasons:

#1, the main reason, It's not my car.

#2, the rear driveline, differential, axles, etc etc would have cost a bunch of extra $$

#3, the car is going to Jessicas(my fiance') sister. She has two toddlers and no interest in ever needing 4wd. She just wanted something cheap and somewhat reliable. And hey, it beats the hell out of the civic hatchback of the same year that she wanted to buy for about the same price and have me replace a head. No thanks. I hate working on hondas. Besides.. a 4d will work out much better than some hatchback.. her kids are still carseat age. If we can get this car to last another 12 years I'll put a 4wd in it for her son!