Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diff possibilities?

Rebello240zx

Maybe something to think about for you crazy ones out there but here is an idea.

1.) Subaru is owned by fugi heavy industries right? and all subies have a fuji diff in them right? well us datsun guys use subie diffs in our datsun 510s because some subies have 4.44 gears which makes for a great street rocket. These just bolt right in.

2.) nissan/datsun use fuji diffs in all of their vehicles from 68-87 i believe... 79-83 280zx's have 3.90 gears and are designated as the r-200. these are indestructible diffs with a rating of 450 ft lbs. 84-89 300zx's have 3.70 lsd diffs.

I have heard of nissan making a 3.90 lsd but don't know what car it's out of.

could one of these be made to work in a subie? and is lsd worth while?

You must be kidding, a 3:90 LSD rearend for a Subaru???? That would be SOOO Awesome!!!!! I'm thinking maybe I could keep a look out on Ebay or something!!!

PS. Generally I don't give noobs a bad time, but this is just your turn. Please don't take this personally, I'm just messing with you. Try a search and you'll find a tonne of stuff on them and how to do the conversion. Later, and welcome, really I mean that :lol: . Tim

R180 diffs have been done and Qman has an ARB in his. But as for the R200, I don't think anyone on here has actually installed one in a Subaru (yet.) Supposedly the air locker made for the R200a diff will also work in the R200 but the $700+ price tag seems to be keeping us low budget folks from doing it.

the R180 diffs you speak of are essentially the same thing nissan/subaru, that's why they swap. get a 3.7 LSD and swap the internals into a 3.9, that's the easiest way to get a 3.9 LSD. operose just started a thread about using a locking rear diff from an...audi or something...i forget but it's a 3.89 gear ratio, he's not sure if it would hurt anything being 0.01 off.

i did see one ebay listing for a 3.9 rear LSD and it even included the picture of the shiny plate that said 3.9 LSD on it. i'm not saying it was legit or wasn't photo-shopped but i did see the pictures...was about 2 years ago.

R180 diffs have been done and Qman has an ARB in his. But as for the R200, I don't think anyone on here has actually installed one in a Subaru (yet.) Supposedly the air locker made for the R200a diff will also work in the R200 but the $700+ price tag seems to be keeping us low budget folks from doing it.

2 things about this:

1) QMan does have an ARB locker in the rear. but he doesn't have an R180...or even a subaru...he's running an isuzu solid axle.

2) yes, there are a bunch of rear diffs that would swap in easy, but the problem is getting a front one that matches. you can't run a 4.44 rear diff (easy with a forester diff, don't even have to borrow from nissan), with the stock 3.90 front! and up to this point, no-one's figured out how to change the front ratio.

Thanks for the help, but as tim said, search first. these are old ideas....;)

oh yea, and XT6's had the 3.9 final ratio, and some came with rear LSD...

2 things about this:

1) QMan does have an ARB locker in the rear. but he doesn't have an R180...or even a subaru...he's running an isuzu solid axle.

Ok ya' got me on that one. Shows just how long it's been since I've seen Ken and the Brat. I was thinking the rear was spooled and the ARB was in his front mounted R180, which would make pretty good sense for a trail rig. But now that you mention it, ARB doesn't make an air locker for the R180...which is what led me to the R200s.

Back when I thought I was going to build another trail rig, I was fixin' to put R200's with ARBs in the front and rear. Locked up R200s seem to hold up reasonably well with 33" tires on Pathfinders. So I figured they'd probably hold up to some abuse in the vehicle I was gonna build. I read a while back that SubaruBrat is building these diffs and lockers into his rig. Glad somebody can afford to do it because that's most of what stopped me. Looking forward to seeing how it works out and how it holds up to the kind of power his H6 is putting to those big meats.

Calmini sells a clutch pack LSD for the R200. It is supposed to be a brand new unit direct from Nissan/FHI and seems to me it was less than that 1000 price.