Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best price for Outback struts (to lift gen 1 legacy)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

Simple question: What's the best price you've found for a complete set of Outback struts and where did you get them?

I've got a friend who wants to lift her 91 legacy wagon, but doesn't have a ton of money to spend on the car. Also, what have your experiences been with tires? What will fit on the car with the lift but little or no fender trimming?

Edit: Another question... How does the 4EAT transmission hold up to running larger tires and the stresses of mild offroad use?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:49 PM

KYBs spec'd for '97 Outback. Tirerack, 3 months ago, $327.72 shipped. (that's $82. each for the front, $69 for the rear.)
Part#s
235633 for LF
235632 for RF
335021 for LR
335020 for RR

I'm still running stock tires but might go bigger if I find some.

#3 offroadsubaruguy

offroadsubaruguy

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • arvada, colorado

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

i got mine from tirerack as well.. good price, better than the dealler, and better than my mechanic, so, thats who i went with

#4 Shadyirishmen

Shadyirishmen

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Scappoose OR,

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

We got ours at a junk yard for $150 for a complete set. Real cheap and real easy and its guaranteed to work.

#5 AFviper

AFviper

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Lynnwood, WA

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

$150 for a set is a great price. I asked at a junkyard about springs and struts, and they set $100 for each spring/strut. The biggest problem I see with going to the junk yard is unless you know how many miles are on the struts you don't know how much life they have left in them.

#6 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:31 PM

nobody has any insight on tire size? I'm gonna go to the yard and get some outback struts this weekend....

#7 Shadyirishmen

Shadyirishmen

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Scappoose OR,

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

You shouldb be able to run with just struts, around 26 to 27" inch tires. if you a put a lift kit on the car you can run 29's.

#8 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:05 PM

You shouldb be able to run with just struts, around 26 to 27" inch tires. if you a put a lift kit on the car you can run 29's.

yeah but I'll have a hard enough time swinging the $$ for the struts and meats as it is

#9 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

the j/y in the next town over,they want about $25. per strut assembly.

as far as tire size,i think you could squeeze in 28's if you do some trimming and hitting.

#10 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:21 PM

yes I have several BFH's :lol: anyone know for _SURE_ what will definately fit with outback struts on a 1st gen legacy?

#11 P K

P K

Devil Dog Liaison

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Omicron Persei Diego

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:01 PM

The spring perch is again the limiting factor in tire size. Stock Outback tires are about 26.6" and there's maybe 3/4" space. IMHO, 27.5" would be max. Lift kit will not help {yet}... however, John Mudrat does a strut mod to move the perch up another inch or so... With that (modded Outback strut), a lift kit and fender trim you could go bigger tires, maybe 29-30"?
r/ PK

p.s. keep in mind that non-Outback Legacy struts are limited to about 25" tires... so adding Outback struts and 27" tires would make a big difference, though a lift may still be necessary to avoid fender/tire rubbing.

p.p.s. Will Outback struts without a lift kit cause slight driveline angles?

#12 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:15 PM

The spring perch is again the limiting factor in tire size. Stock Outback tires are about 26.6" and there's maybe 3/4" space. IMHO, 27.5" would be max. Lift kit will not help {yet}... however, John Mudrat does a strut mod to move the perch up another inch or so... With that (modded Outback strut), a lift kit and fender trim you could go bigger tires, maybe 29-30"?
r/ PK

p.s. keep in mind that non-Outback Legacy struts are limited to about 25" tires... so adding Outback struts and 27" tires would make a big difference, though a lift may still be necessary to avoid fender/tire rubbing.

outback struts and wally world or kumho 27"s w/ a BFH it is............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users