Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best price for Outback struts (to lift gen 1 legacy)

Snowman

Simple question: What's the best price you've found for a complete set of Outback struts and where did you get them?

I've got a friend who wants to lift her 91 legacy wagon, but doesn't have a ton of money to spend on the car. Also, what have your experiences been with tires? What will fit on the car with the lift but little or no fender trimming?

Edit: Another question... How does the 4EAT transmission hold up to running larger tires and the stresses of mild offroad use?

Thanks in advance.

KYBs spec'd for '97 Outback. Tirerack, 3 months ago, $327.72 shipped. (that's $82. each for the front, $69 for the rear.)

Part#s

235633 for LF

235632 for RF

335021 for LR

335020 for RR

I'm still running stock tires but might go bigger if I find some.

$150 for a set is a great price. I asked at a junkyard about springs and struts, and they set $100 for each spring/strut. The biggest problem I see with going to the junk yard is unless you know how many miles are on the struts you don't know how much life they have left in them.

• 1 month later...

The spring perch is again the limiting factor in tire size. Stock Outback tires are about 26.6" and there's maybe 3/4" space. IMHO, 27.5" would be max. Lift kit will not help {yet}... however, John Mudrat does a strut mod to move the perch up another inch or so... With that (modded Outback strut), a lift kit and fender trim you could go bigger tires, maybe 29-30"?

r/ PK

p.s. keep in mind that non-Outback Legacy struts are limited to about 25" tires... so adding Outback struts and 27" tires would make a big difference, though a lift may still be necessary to avoid fender/tire rubbing.

p.p.s. Will Outback struts without a lift kit cause slight driveline angles?

The spring perch is again the limiting factor in tire size. Stock Outback tires are about 26.6" and there's maybe 3/4" space. IMHO, 27.5" would be max. Lift kit will not help {yet}... however, John Mudrat does a strut mod to move the perch up another inch or so... With that (modded Outback strut), a lift kit and fender trim you could go bigger tires, maybe 29-30"?

r/ PK

p.s. keep in mind that non-Outback Legacy struts are limited to about 25" tires... so adding Outback struts and 27" tires would make a big difference, though a lift may still be necessary to avoid fender/tire rubbing.

outback struts and wally world or kumho 27"s w/ a BFH it is............