Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sticks in 4th

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pattiandruss

pattiandruss

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

My 84 4wd hatchback sticks in 4th gear if I come to a stop while in gear. If I take it out of 4th, go to neutral or third, while still moving 15 mph or so, it is fine. Putting the transfer case in neutral and shutting off the engine allows me to bang it out of gear. 211k, so maybe the syncros have a notch worn in them? I don't think it's clutch drag because of the engine off, transfer case in neutral thing. That should freewheel everything. Ideas? Russell

#2 4x4moose

4x4moose

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Wenatchee the snatch

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

subies don't have a trasfercase. did you check the trany fluid?

#3 pattiandruss

pattiandruss

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

DOES have a transfer case. 2 high, 4 high, neutral, 4 low. Fluid is good, nice and clean and right on the mark. Russell

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

its not known as a transfer case. It's still considered part of the transmission.

First off, check the tranny fluid. Fill if low. If that doesn't help, try putting an additive in there like Lucas transmission additive. If that still doesn't help, then its time to go hunting through the junkyard for a transmission...

#5 pattiandruss

pattiandruss

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:12 PM

How about "internal, integrated, part-of-the-transmission case"? Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion about additives. Maybe that will help compensate for some of the wear, otherwise I guess I'll live with it. Maybe pushing it backwards with the drive selector in neutral would release it? Worth a try, anyhow. Russell

#6 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:58 PM

!?!?! someone else from kfalls? welcome to the board :D

The only thought I have is about the clutch. Where does it engage/disengage? Could it be misadjusted from age now to where 4th doesn't want to work well?

Does it do it in any other gears?

#7 pattiandruss

pattiandruss

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

No, only 4th. After I get it out of gear, it will go into any gear, including reverse, without grinding. So, either the clutch drags only after a stop while in 4th gear, or there is something strange about 4th. If it was the clutch, I don't understand why it would jam up only in 4th gear. This doesn't mean that it can't possibly be the clutch, just that I don't understand. Russell

#8 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,037 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:12 AM

Mine's been doing that (often, but not always) for a couple of years. I thought it was clutch drag, but after making wild experimental adjustments, nothing seemed to help. I just remember to take it out of 4th just before stopping, and I'm good. I figure at 295,000 miles, it ain't gonna be perfect:rolleyes: .

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:32 AM

It sounds as if you have a bad fork in the transmssion, or a bad synchro. I'm thinking a badly shot synchro. I would change the fluid and drain the fluid thry wither a paint strainer os cheese cloth and check for metal parts. Also watch the color of the fluid, if it looks goldish in color, those are brass paritcles etc

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users