Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the front differential

I have scoured the net and my mechanic cannot come up with a replacement front diff for my 96 Legacy. Where is a good place to get a used or rebuilt front diff. I've checked the local junkyards as well and cannot come up with anything.

I don't want to pay the $2k that Subaru quoted for getting the thing so any information on where and how to find one is greatly appreciated.

Don't know where in PA you are, but give Octagon Spares in Felton, PA. http://www.octagonauto.com/default.htm

He does a lot with Subarus. The problem you are running into is that the diff is part of the transmission, and why subaru transmissions are often referered to as transaxles. Most Junkyards don't seperate the diffs from bad transes and only sell the trans as a whole. Octagon might have something.

Keith

what he said - the front diff is basically part of the transmission. it can be seperated, but noone does it. and depending on the failure mode another diff might fail in short order. if the trans caused the front diff to fail, the new one will as well. if the diff failed and....i'm not exactly sure of the terminoloy here, but if it failed and the resultant vibrations/damage to the diff also damaged where it mates to the trans internally....then the new diff will eventually (less than a year) be ruined by the damaged trans (that sustained damage from the previously damaged front diff). so installing a new front diff isn't necessarly the best option unless yo'ure positive you won't be doing this again in one year. the only person i know that tried to replace his front diff had this exact thing happen. i actually gave him a front diff and it was toast in short order for the exactd reasons i stated above.

that being said - you'll likely have to buy a transmission anyway, just buy and install the whole thing. much simpler and less labor for your mechanic. and you'll have a hard time finding just a front diff.

good luck and have fun,

:(

Thanks for that info, I had never thought of the failure being with the two. Or one causing the other. I was starting to reason the fact I couldn't find just a front diff was because it was considered part of the transmission. That sure is any eye opener. Again thank you greatly for your input.

I have scoured the net and my mechanic cannot come up with a replacement front diff for my 96 Legacy. Where is a good place to get a used or rebuilt front diff. I've checked the local junkyards as well and cannot come up with anything.

I don't want to pay the $2k that Subaru quoted for getting the thing so any information on where and how to find one is greatly appreciated.

Good place to check for used parts is Campbell/Nelson 1-888-337-7757 or sales@findusedparts.com they are in Arl. Washington, but they ship parts. I have used them a good bit and have never had problems.