Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pressure?

The 1600 engine in the 1978 wagon has low oil pressure when it warms up. The light started to flicker at a very low idle. The book said it will do that if the oil pressure gets down to about 2.8 psi. I relaced the sender with a mechanical gauge and when cold I have around 50 psi oil pressure! When it gets warm it drops to about 5 psi. I'm using 20-50 castrol oil. Any ideas on how to raise the pressure? Or should I not worry about it? The motor has NO ticking or off sounds. As a matter of fact, this is the quietest 1600 motor I have ever had. What do you all think? Thanks...Dennis...

With the engine at normal operating temp, it is running at a constant 25 psi. That was going up and down hills, on a flat and cruzing at 50mph. Even at 25mph in 3rd gear it was still 23-25 psi. Lugging it a bit to see how much drop I would get. Do you think it would increase if I put a new oil pump in it? Or just the usual bearing problem on a slightly worn engine? I've got good power and no smoke, doesn't use ANY oil. Maybe I'll switch to racing 40# and see what happens.