Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help needed - EA65 engine

Hello.

I have a Subaru Leone 1300DL 83'. Engine is EA65, single bore carb. Original Distributor, NGK Plugs, Temporary Replacment Snnapp 50Ah Battary (Originally a 55A Snnapp battary).

Ive recentlly took on cleaning the car and servicing its electrical system. so ive cleaned all of the electrical contact including the dist. cap.

In addition ive returned the battary to its manufacturer for service and got the less powerful replacment.

When I try to start the engine it turns then gives a loud poping sound and thats about it.

I assume that ive managed to mix the firing order. The order should be the same as in EA63, EA71 and EA81 engines.

Can someone help me?

Great weekend. best regards.

Daniel Tourchin

Also remember that you can adjust where the disty rotor sits if you take it out of the engine and put it back in. Best thing to do is take the cap off the disty rotor and also off the flywheel timming cover. then turn the engine to TDC using the timming marks ( making it point at 0 ) then look at where the rotor is pointing, and that will be number one piston. From there you plug number three in to the next plug on the cap anticlockwise, then 2 then 4. But the way the other guy explained it will work on a stock setting.

Oh, by the way, what I said just then is for a EA81, which I think is the same as a EA65/71/82. But I'm not too sure. Hope that helps anyhow. Oh, and next time you can try posting this in the historic forum (the one above Old Gen.)

Cheers,

Phiz

Noah, Ive tried the schematic. although it looks right the engine dont fires.

so i tried couple of variations and at one of them the engine runs, although it sound a bit rough, the whole car vibrates and the engine looks like hes tilting to the right side, i soppose that one of the cylinders isnt firing.

Although its logical, cause i tried to clean the corrosion on the disty leads, maybe i broke a chunk from one of the electrodes and thats why it isnt firing on the right config.

Ill continue to try to fix it, although it seems that ill need a new disty cap, it was on my list of buys, but now ill have an excuse to get a new one.

Thanks mates. At least it fires now, hehe.

Shalom. Cheers, Daniel Tourchin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey felas

Thanks for your help.

After a lot of tries, I’ve decided to make a last effort before tanking it to the pros. called one of my friend’s who’s a semi-self taught-backyard mechanic, and after completely disconnecting the ignition system then reconnecting everything. Then I cleaned the disty. And although I had my dough’s that it won’t help, it started great on the first try, no vibrations and the engine sounds wonderful.

Ill upload some pics and records later this week.

Again thanks folks, and of course thanks for this site admins for making this great portal.

Best regards. Great upcoming week to ya all.

Daniel Tourchin.