Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replace carb on '84 GL?

Howdy...just had a carb question for the Subie experts. I don't know much of anything about carbs, or Subies (have had Hondas forever). Have been learning quick, tho. I have an '84 GL wagon 4x4 with the 1.8 and 2bbl. It won't idle when it's warm and has major coughing when I try to use the accelerator. Down the highway there is a "stick" at midrange, making it almost impossible to "feather" the gas. We have used a rebuild kit and cleaned the carb out, but the gas sits high in the float. I have a bad exhaust leak which we will fix this winter hopefully (hole in pipe after maniforld and muffler), and some people have told me that's my idle problem. But one thing I know about carbs is they don't sputter from exhaust leaks. Someone suggested the accelerator pump, but can't find one listed at the parts store.

So my question is...do I just go and get a new carb? The exhaust is getting fixed first, and then I have to save up for a $400 carb. I'm not going to open up and upgrade this engine, so probably don't need to upgrade carb? I would like to make this into a bit of an off-roader next year, nothing major. Got the Subie for playing in the dirt and snow.

Any suggestions?

You have a couple of options for replacing the carburetor.

For a stock replacement, I'd go with a rebuilt carb from Roo-Builders. They're much cheaper than a new carb, and many people have had very good luck with them.

http://www.jtwebtech.com/roobuilders/

Another popular option is to convert to a Weber 32/36 DGEV carb for a bit more performace. These require some tuning to get right, but I have been told that they run very well.

My personal favorite is to swap over the SPFI (single-point fuel injection) setup from an 87-94 EA82 subaru (yes, SPFI was offered in 85-86, but that system wasn't as good). It's really not that much work, and the improvement in drivability and fuel economy is worth it in my opinion.

Wow...looked at Roo-builders and so much cheaper! Thanks, Snowman. Not sure what I will wind up doing for sure in the end, will look into FI and a Weber...want to put one on my Civic slalom-racer, too. I'm still interested in other ideas for fixing/replacing. Would rather spend money on off-road stuff for the Roo, and I'm not needing alot of power yet, since I'm not pulling big tires or anything at this time. I'd probably upgrade the whole engine at that point. Right now I just want it to idle!

Again, thanks! You may have saved me a couple of hundred bucks! :banana:

the weber would be a nice selection for ya...if you got the time and money, you could do a ej22 swap, that would give you quite a bit more power, speaking of offroadin, you should get a lift :):)

the spfi is a nice swap, thats what im going to do as soon as i get the parts.

Ya, sounds like the way to go. I'll look for one for the Honda at the same time, since they're basically the same carb w/maybe different jetting (Honda is 1.5L). Back of GL is lifted highest stock will go, and I will match front...until I can get bigger wheels, tires, am going to stay with stock max height and get skid plates and brush bar first. Honda is priority for money, have close to $2K on list for upgrades, then Subie, since I'm only going to play and not go too crazy. Want to hook up with Hatch Patrol when I'm done with school and have job ($$$) to go play sometimes. I can't go any faster with Honda current susp., and a VW Scirocco is kicking my butt. Can't have that!!! After Honda is done, maybe Subie engine swap? =) But looking at all these lifted Subies is making me drool, tho.

Most everyone agree to replace carb instead of ****-ing with it?

Thx a bunch, guys...glad I found this site!!!!!

SubieNewbie

madmac18