Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 Carter 1 bbl to Weber swap

Is the weber available with an adapter plate for the 1bbl stock carter-weber or is a hitachi intake necessary for the conversion? Also, I've heard conflicting reports on the increase in performance and mileage to expect after the conversion. I wonder if the differences have to do with the quality and expertise of the conversion and if the redline users had significantly better experiences. Not all of us are wonderful at all aspects of suby repair, and I suspect that someone like myself with minimal space and expertise might be better off with a complete bolt up kit.

AS you thought, It's not available, and you will need a Complete 4 bolt Hitachi intake manifold......

Do you have to worry about passing emissions.....? If Not, you can Delete alot of unecessary smog crap.....This makes The weber conversion very Easy......

If you have ok mechanical skills, the Conversion isn't Too bad.....

Read a repair manual on how to remove the Intake as a Unit, then with it off, you can do the swap....

I would suggest buying the Redline Kit, as it Comes As a COMPLETE KIT...... Ask them to make sure to include a throttle cable mount for base of Carb.....it makes the conversion a breeze.....:D

Hope this helps you some, John in Oregon.....

then after you've pulled the old carb off, take it into the road and drop kick it a few times, beat on it with a sledge hammer and have someone run it over if they don't like their tires. Thats the best thing those carbs can do. I should know, I had one on my 83 hatchback and I could never get it to run right:madder: