Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your fender cutting solution? pic's if possible please

FirstSubaruGLwagon

mmhttp://www.mnchopshop.org/features/suparoo/fender_cuting.html

Pics kinda suck but its a very clean method. Trying to cut an arch is hard to make it look good; 90% of the time its all wavy and off. Hammer was a bit crude; works for the unibody but the fender I wanted to look sharp.

I think it turned out well.

rock_gorge_000_entrance.jpg

Oh here's where I cut in the rear; same deal I just used the grinder with the cutoff wheels. Door still seals properly.

triming_rear_for_29s.jpg

Thanks for all your replys!:grin:

well I put the 225/70-15's on today.

I can now sleep under my car,,, I just cant turn the steering wheel:-p

With the rear, only a little beating with the "fine tunning tool" 3lb hammer was nessasary. About an inch of clearance behind the door and everything just fits nicely.

Had my Dad who is about 230lbs jump up and down on the back comes close but no rubbing.

I will Rhyno-line the area where the paint popped off later:brow:

The front is a different matter. there seems to be enough clearance on the front under the bumper, however when turning the tire contacts the mudflap.

I am going to try cut it some and keep the stock mudflap , just move it back abit. (cause it's got that cool red outlined 4WD on it):cool:

Wish I had a digital camera! :-\ I could show you guys what I mean.wallymart has one for 19 bucks,, wounder if it would be worth the investment?

Anyway thanks so much for the pictures!:D

The front is a different matter. there seems to be enough clearance on the front under the bumper, however when turning the tire contacts the mudflap.

I am going to try cut it some and keep the stock mudflap , just move it back abit. (cause it's got that cool red outlined 4WD on it)

oh man, yea, the mudflap HAD to go....I ripped that bugger off, and still had to do some whomping to get stuff to fit.

you'll have to be very creative to get the stock mudflap to fit!

I did more bashing and less trimming.. the only trimming I did was that so when I bashed it would bend more right. On my drivers side I had some rust so the aplication of the 10 lbs sledge kinda made that rubbing issue go away. I HAD to lose the front mud flaps, but I still have my rears. I beat the metal under the top of the rears down and lost the top bolt.

I did more bashing and less trimming.. the only trimming I did was that so when I bashed it would bend more right. On my drivers side I had some rust so the aplication of the 10 lbs sledge kinda made that rubbing issue go away. I HAD to lose the front mud flaps, but I still have my rears. I beat the metal under the top of the rears down and lost the top bolt.

And the correct way to do the above is to do this at 2 am...in the garage of a 350k houses garage..........

Ok, I have come to know that there are some REALLY creative people here at USMB.:clap:

And I know that many here have lifted their subee GL's, DL's, Loyal's and many others. In-turn many have had to make ingenious fender mods

I would love to see or read how you did it!:D

"Knowledge is power":headbang:

12279Flare.jpg

The best way i found is to take a pair of tin snips,and cut up into the fender about 1 inch all the way around to make tabs then bend up all the tabs you made. then you need a small hammer to bend in all the sharp little points you made between the tabs.this will make it look as though nothing was done ,if you take your time and will also stop from cutting your tires if you hit a little too hard now and then.you can look at mine if you search small lift done in the forum search .

1 tool works better than ANYTHING else I have ever used: AIR SHEERS:D:D:D

They leave a clean smooth cut(U can run your'e bear hand acros it and it will not cut ya) they make it EAZY to cut nice smooth round openings, and if U mask out the line U want to cut 1st they will not hurt your'e paint either;)

"Yea...subarubrat...I just noticed that it looks like your front fender flare overlaps your front door!? any problems there? or does it look worse than it is."

No problems, you just have a crecent "bite" out of the flare on the inside that the door swings into, I should snap a pic of it, very easy.

No problems, you just have a crecent "bite" out of the flare on the inside that the door swings into, I should snap a pic of it, very easy.

As I have these same fender flares, I would LOVE some closer shots of the flares where they meet at the doors. I would also like a closer image of the rears where they meet at the sidestep. I'm not too worried at the rears though as I had a friend weld out the steps and weld them back in closer to the doors. Can you also get pics of how you cut the flare around the gas door? I'd appreciate it a lot.

OK,,, Thanks for all the input and photos! :)

I finaly did my fenders,,, and was able to keep the stock ,although usless now, mudflaps.:grin:

first I marked out with a white paint pen where i wanted to cut,

Then put on my safety glasses and ear protection and long sleaves and gloves. Then used a grinder with a thin cut-off blade,,, very fast, very loud, nice streight lines

lot a sparks:cool:

"it's so pretty,, ouch,,ouch"

12279frount_fender4.jpgnieghbors love me now:rolleyes:

Next I cut up to the first flap bolt and made sure to leave a little tab , to fold over for the mudflap bolt.

BY THE WAY, WEAR A MASK WHEN CUTTING ALUMINIUM!

I will probaly have alhizimers by the time i'm 45.. ( actually , I had to come back and edit this sentance because I forgot to finish it befor submitting:rolleyes:)

12279frount_fender3_5.jpg12279frount_fender3.jpg

Then I beat the "poop" out of the lower wheel well area, with a 5 pound sledge:grin:

Literaly a bunch of poop,- sand and leaves and mud and rust-,came falling out.

The Mudflaps had to be cut and modifyed in a few places in order to line up. Drlled holes for the flap bolts.

Used a clear-coat paint sealer on all the cut metal, because I was out of black paint.:drunk:

After mounting the Mudflap back it looked something like this...

12279frontmudflap.jpg

On the front I used the same white marke and made a gentle ark half way up the finder to about the top of the molding.

Cut it and knocked off the slag (wire edge) the painted it .

Then I took the O-rig seal out of the lid of a 5 gallon paint bucket(looked alot like a vacume line) and using a utility knife, I slit one side the ring. (This is best done by "feeding" the tube onto the knife blade, a little at a time)

Then I superglued the inside of the Rubber ring (hose or tube) and slide it over the cut metal.

held it inplace for a while, and WALA!

12279frount_fender2.jpg12279frount_fender1.jpg

The rear was just a matter of beating the rusty metal back about 1 inch,

the wheel now never comes closer that 1/2 inch to the metal.

and with 225,75-15's and a 4" lift this is what it looks like

12279field2.jpg

Kinda hard to explain or take pics of since I already did it. But what I actually did was cut slits in the wells about 2-3" apart from eachother...then proceeded to bend all that metal inwards with a pair of channel locks and whack it flat with the BFH. Made for nice edges, and no super sharp cut metal to tear up my arms or tires. Was taught this by a body guy, though there are places that I just straight out cut with my sawzall. And other places that just just got hammered to heck with my sledge. But I had to do some major fitting for my tires, thought it was okay until I started flexing it and stuffing tires into the wheel wells...then it was more cutting and bashing..think I should be okay now. Will prob still rub at certain places when the front tires are stuffed up in the wells and turned all the way.

Phizinza's Website

Cut the fender with a angle grinder' date=' leaving it attached at the top of the cut (only leaving the lip attached) and then fold it back behind the rest of the fender with some silicone. I started the job with a clear sheet of plastic, and a pen. I drew the shape I wanted the fender to be. Then cut the plastic, and traced it onto the fender with the pen.

Done the cut. Folded it back. pop riveted it onto the other part of the fender. Cut the black plastic trim down to size, then put it back on. Then redrilled the mud flap hole in the fender as they were to high after that. I also had to cut the flaps up a bit as they didn't quite fit. Once the process on one side was done, it was the other sides turn. I used the plastic sheet, flipped it over and drew the same line on the other side. Cut, drill, bang, cut, and done![/quote']

This is what I done to my MY Brumby/Brat. It turned out sweet.

I like the rubber trimming FirstSubaruGLwagon, great idea!

Kinda hard to explain or take pics of since I already did it. But what I actually did was cut slits in the wells about 2-3" apart from eachother...then proceeded to bend all that metal inwards with a pair of channel locks and whack it flat with the BFH. Made for nice edges, and no super sharp cut metal to tear up my arms or tires. Was taught this by a body guy, though there are places that I just straight out cut with my sawzall. And other places that just just got hammered to heck with my sledge. But I had to do some major fitting for my tires, thought it was okay until I started flexing it and stuffing tires into the wheel wells...then it was more cutting and bashing..think I should be okay now. Will prob still rub at certain places when the front tires are stuffed up in the wells and turned all the way.

thats great! bending and folding makes the fender stronger it that area.

I explored the idea of bending the metal , but all I had were vice-grips', and practice on a spare peice of metal yealded crapy results..

Now if i would have had a pare of metal shapeing plyers, then it would have been a different story.