Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-Spd D/R Swap: Pedal Assy?

Dennis

Ok, I've finally gotten back to swapping out the bad automatic trans on my '87 GL Wagon for the 5-Speed D/R from my '88, but I can't figure out the pedal assembly. I've removed the 4 nuts that secure the assembly to the firewall and one other that was further up under the dash, and I can't see any other mounting points that are holding the assembly in the car, but the thing won't budge. The clutch pedal and cable are already out, and I've removed the pin that holds the brake pedal to the pushrod coming out of the booster. Of course, my Chilton's manual doesn't mention anything about the pedal assembly, nor does it have an exploded diagram of it. Anyone out there who can shed some light?

theres a bracket on the outboard side of the assembly. it attaches the assembly to a big chunck of the wiring harness.. sounds like you may have come across it already, given your reference to the" one other that was further up under the dash"

If that one other is part of that bracket, .. well.. that bracket has 2 nuts.. look for another nut right next to the first one

• 1 month later...

I did some more work on my 5-speed D/R swap today, and it's damned near complete. :drunk: It took me more than six hours over the course of three days to remove the pedal assembly from my '88 Subaru (the donor for the manual trans), but after getting the hang of how it's removed, it only took me 20 minutes to remove the same assembly from the '87 Subaru (it really helped removing the seat and dropping the steering column). After getting them both out, I realized that I'd have to reuse the assembly from the '87 anyway. The '88 is fuel injected, while the '87 is carbureted, so the '87 has an extra bracket welded to the pedal assembly that holds some sort of switch for when the throttle is wide-open. The problem with reusing that assembly is that the one from the '88 also has an extra bracket welded on that acts as a stop for clutch pedal. To remedy that, I drilled a hole where the bracket should have been and simply put a bolt through it, which now acts as a clutch pedal stop.

The only unknowns left now are which wires to jump in order to trick the ignition into thinking the car is in park, and how in the heck to wire up some reverse lights? I'm not too great at electrical stuff, so hopefully one of you will be able to explain it to me--either that, or maybe my Chilton's manual can help, but I doubt that.

the wires you want to jump are at the shifter itself, inside the center console.

thee is a flat wide connector that connects the auto shifter to the wiring harness. i had jumped it before, but i cant remember what wires. but i fugured it out by jumping around til i got it right!