Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mid-range surging?

I just got my 1st 3dr, and it's my 1st SPFI car. It has a strange problem, it suges @ mid throtle. About 1/3 through 2/3 of the gas pedal it's like I'm fethering the gas a little (some times a lot). It dose not seem to be RPM dependant, just pedal possition dependant.

Would this be a TPS? Is there a common cause of this condtion?

I have been told that the TPS likes to wear out/get dirty over time on these cars, causing the exact condition you describe. My SPFI conversion did the same thing for a while but it eventually became not as bad...the sensor was probably dirty from sitting for a couple of years (and being from a car with 205k on it).

I just got one from the junkyard to hopefully get rid of my surging while cold and driving slow.

It doesn't appear easy to take apart and remove. Best bet is probably to get a used one from a junkyard. I think they're very expensive new.

There's a link in here to a method to test it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24997&highlight=throttle+position+sensor

Have you put a meter on it to see whether the resistance/output is stable or variable? I have had a similar condition on my XT6 for a while. A couple of us on XT6.net describe it as "power waves." A new (used) TPS had no impact. A new coil seemed to help some, but it's not gone.

I'd love to know if you resolve it this way, because I have been totally unable to find or eliminate this problem.

No, I have not tested yet, but I will in the morning. If I get any out of whack readings I will get one @ the yard ASAP. If that isn't the cure I'll try a new coil. I will post back as soon as I have cured it;)

Thanks for the link to the other thred! That info.&PDF file will be VERY handy:clap:

just an FYI...

it appears that to change the TPS, the AC compressor (if you have one) needs to be unbolted and moved about 1/4" tops :banghead: I'm thinking about maybe grinding down on the AC bracket to make the room, :rolleyes:

If anyone has any tricks to removing/replacing these things, please let them be known :-)

I just got mine swapped out...

found a LONG flathead screwdriver, and was able to loosen both after removing the vacuum line to the brake booster.

To remove the TPS, I had to file down on the AC compressor with a 10" file I have.

The wire bundle running through there I had to pull up on top of the compressor to get out of the way. After filing quite a bit on the compressor I was able to slide the TPS off. A little more filing for kicks & giggles and now it goes on/off just fine. Much easier than moving the alt/compressor/fan shroud/etc to get some space to work in.

At the moment I only have the top screw holding it in place until I get a final driving test/adjustment.

I did not get a chance to test it today, but after reading this I'm glad I don't have AC:-p I'm wondering if there is a Nissan TPS that would work on our Roos that could be had for cheeper. I know that some of the other Nissan FI parts can interchange:brow:

A new TPS fixed the same problem for me, too. I took the old one apart to see if they're fixable. The bottom line is that I don't think you could really fix a worn TPS, but if you have an idle switch problem you might be able to clean the contacts with a burnishing tool. If I ever get a good camera I'll post pictures.

You could try blowing some electronic cleaner into it just in case it's dirty and not worn.